Density of Magnesium Strontium Alloy (MgSr) in BCC Structure

In summary, Julian is a freshman in an introductory chemistry course and is struggling with a problem involving an alloy with a 1:1 ratio of magnesium and strontium in a bcc CsCl structure. He tried using an example from his textbook but got the wrong answer, leading him to believe that the number of atoms in a bcc cell is different. He is seeking help with this problem on a forum and is advised to post the problem and his attempt at a solution in the appropriate section.
JulianA2
Hi!

I am a freshman in college on my first week of an intro chemistry course. I think the professor may have made a mistake with the software that generates the problem sets, but I'm giving it a shot regardless.

One of the questions is: An alloy with a 1:1 ratio of magnesium and strontium crystallizes in the bcc CsCl structure. The unit-cell edge of MgSr is 390 pm. What is the density of MgSr?

So I looked in my textbook (in the last chapter...) and found an example of how to do this with a fcc unit cell. I followed that example and got the wrong answer, so the amount of atoms in a bcc cell must be different.

Could you please help me with this problem?

Thanks,
Julian

Chemistry news on Phys.org
JulianA2 said:
Hi!

I am a freshman in college on my first week of an intro chemistry course. I think the professor may have made a mistake with the software that generates the problem sets, but I'm giving it a shot regardless.

One of the questions is: An alloy with a 1:1 ratio of magnesium and strontium crystallizes in the bcc CsCl structure. The unit-cell edge of MgSr is 390 pm. What is the density of MgSr?

So I looked in my textbook (in the last chapter...) and found an example of how to do this with a fcc unit cell. I followed that example and got the wrong answer, so the amount of atoms in a bcc cell must be different.

Thanks,
Julian
Yes, different crystal structures contain different numbers of atoms.

Check out this article (at the bottom where it discusses unit cells):

http://chemed.chem.purdue.edu/genchem/topicreview/bp/ch13/unitcell.php

JulianA2 said:

Please read the forum rules. The best approach is to post the problem and your attempt at solution in the homework section, and we will start from there. At the moment there is not much that we can help you with.

1. What is the density of MgSr in BCC structure?

The density of MgSr in BCC structure is approximately 2.9 g/cm³.

2. How does the density of MgSr compare to other alloys?

The density of MgSr is lower than many other alloys, such as iron or steel, but higher than some lighter alloys like aluminum or titanium.

3. Why does the BCC structure affect the density of MgSr?

The BCC structure is more tightly packed than other structures, allowing for more atoms to be packed in a smaller volume, resulting in a higher density.

4. How does the density of MgSr change with temperature?

As temperature increases, the density of MgSr decreases due to thermal expansion, meaning that the atoms have more energy and are able to spread out more.

5. How is the density of MgSr measured in a laboratory setting?

The density of MgSr can be measured using various techniques, such as Archimedes' principle or a pycnometer, which involves measuring the mass and volume of the alloy to calculate its density.