1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Density of air

1. Jan 28, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given Pressure= 1 atm, Temperature=273, and Relative Humidity= 45%, find the density of air.

2. Relevant equations

1. PV= nRT

2. density of air= M*P/(R*T), where M is the molecular weight of air.

3. M= 18*Y_H2O +M_dry_air *(1 - Y_H2O),
    where Y_H2O is the mole fraction of H2O, and M_dry_air is the molecular weight of dry air, which is given as 29.95g/mol.

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm having trouble finding out Y_H2O, with which I can use the third equation to find the molecular weight of air, then use equation 2 to find the density of air. I know to find Y_H2O, I need to use the relative humidity relationship. Can someone tell me what relative humidity is and how I can use it to solve the problem? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2007 #2

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Jan 28, 2007 #3

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use the relative humidity equation to find the partial pressure that is due to the gaseous air, then go on from their to find the density of air using the approach you've outlined in the original post.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?