Find Air Density: Pressure=1atm, T=273, RH=45%

In summary, the discussion is about finding the density of air given pressure, temperature, and relative humidity. The equations PV = nRT and density of air = M*P/(R*T) are mentioned, as well as the fact that the molecular weight of dry air is 29.95g/mol. The third equation involves finding the mole fraction of water (Y_H2O) and using it to find the molecular weight of air. The individual is having difficulty finding Y_H2O and is looking for clarification on how to use relative humidity to solve the problem.
physicsss

Homework Statement

Given Pressure= 1 atm, Temperature=273, and Relative Humidity= 45%, find the density of air.

Homework Equations

1. PV= nRT

2. density of air= M*P/(R*T), where M is the molecular weight of air.

3. M= 18*Y_H2O +M_dry_air *(1 - Y_H2O),
where Y_H2O is the mole fraction of H2O, and M_dry_air is the molecular weight of dry air, which is given as 29.95g/mol.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having trouble finding out Y_H2O, with which I can use the third equation to find the molecular weight of air, then use equation 2 to find the density of air. I know to find Y_H2O, I need to use the relative humidity relationship. Can someone tell me what relative humidity is and how I can use it to solve the problem? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the relative humidity equation to find the partial pressure that is due to the gaseous air, then go on from their to find the density of air using the approach you've outlined in the original post.

1. What is the formula for finding air density?

The formula for finding air density is density = (pressure * molecular weight) / (gas constant * temperature).

2. How do I calculate air density if the pressure is 1 atm?

If the pressure is 1 atm, you can use the simplified formula: density = molecular weight / (gas constant * temperature).

3. What is the value of temperature (T) in this case?

In this case, the value of temperature (T) is 273 Kelvin, which is equivalent to 0 degrees Celsius.

4. Is the relative humidity (RH) a factor in calculating air density?

Yes, relative humidity (RH) is a factor in calculating air density as it affects the molecular weight of the air.

5. How do I convert the final air density from kg/m3 to g/cm3?

To convert the final air density from kg/m3 to g/cm3, multiply the density value by 1000.