What Causes the Increase in Density of a Hard Boiled Egg?

In summary, the conversation discussed the difference in density between a hard boiled egg and a raw egg. The individual had conducted an experiment and noted that the boiled egg was denser, but was unsure of the reason. Several theories were presented, including the weakening of the egg's exterior and the denaturing of proteins. After further discussion and explanation, it was determined that the change in density was due to the air cavity in the egg being penetrated during boiling, causing a change in volume and mass.
ciubba
I have determined in lab that a hard boiled egg is denser than a raw egg; however, I am not sure that I entirely understand this phenomenon. Assuming my data is correct, my assumptions are as follows:

1. Boiling the egg weakened its exterior, allowing water to enter the shell, thus increasing its mass.
2. The denaturing of the proteins altered the properties of the egg in such a manner that the density of the egg was increased.​

Have I stumbled upon the proper line of inquiry?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't have any scientific idea in answer to your question, but neither sounds right. Certainly changing the form of the proteins doesn't seem likely to change the mass of the egg.

Are you sure about your measurement?

The one thing I can think of is that I don't think raw eggs have an air cavity, but boiled eggs do. Perhaps the mass of the raw egg material is the same but what's inside the shell now includes some air. Doesn't seem like that would make a measurable difference but I suppose that depends on how sensitive your scale is.

Ah ... another thought. Maybe the size of the whole shell is reduced a bit by the boiling, along with the innards being made to occupy a smaller volume and the air doesn't fully make up the different (to keep the shell from shrinking). Have you measured the volume to be the same and the weight to be more or the weight to be the same and the volume to be less?

What exactly DID you measure to conclude that the boiled egg is more dense?

phinds said:
I don't have any scientific idea in answer to your question, but neither sounds right. Certainly changing the form of the proteins doesn't seem likely to change the mass of the egg.

Are you sure about your measurement?

The one thing I can think of is that I don't think raw eggs have an air cavity, but boiled eggs do. Perhaps the mass of the raw egg material is the same but what's inside the shell now includes some air. Doesn't seem like that would make a measurable difference but I suppose that depends on how sensitive your scale is.

Ah ... another thought. Maybe the size of the whole shell is reduced a bit by the boiling, along with the innards being made to occupy a smaller volume and the air doesn't fully make up the different (to keep the shell from shrinking). Have you measured the volume to be the same and the weight to be more or the weight to be the same and the volume to be less?

What exactly DID you measure to conclude that the boiled egg is more dense?

We weren't allowed to mass the eggs directly, so I added salt to a water solution until the egg appeared to equal its density i.e. it "just floated". At this point, I used a 10 mL glass pipet to mass 10 mL of the solution, which I subtracted from the mass of the glass pipet to obtain the mass of the salt water,. Knowing that the volume of the water was 10 mL, I was able to determine the density.

I'm somewhat confident that my results are correct as I recreated the experiment in my kitchen a few moments ago by placing both a raw egg and a hard boiled egg in the same salt solution. Evidently, the boiled egg sank whilst the raw egg floated. Unfortunately, we have not covered any chemical mechanisms in class that would explain the change in density of the egg.

phinds said:
I don't think raw eggs have an air cavity

They do. Whether the size of the cavity is the same in the raw and boiled egg is another thing.

Borek said:
They do. Whether the size of the cavity is the same in the raw and boiled egg is another thing.

Borek, you know the most amazing things. :w

Borek said:
So, if the air cavity was penetrated by the solid mass of denatured proteins, what effect would that have on the volume and mass of the egg as a whole? It seems to me that unless the air can escape from the egg density should remain constant. If it can escape from the egg then my results should be opposite.

Last edited:
ciubba said:
It seems to me that unless the air can escape from the egg

Have you ever seen boiling egg? It bubbles. That means it also sucks the air inside while cooling. It can also mean it sucks water if you put it in the cold water after boiling (like I do, to make it easier to remove the shell).

Borek said:
Have you ever seen boiling egg? It bubbles. That means it also sucks the air inside while cooling. It can also mean it sucks water if you put it in the cold water after boiling (like I do, to make it easier to remove the shell).
No, I prefer my eggs soft-boiled! Thank you, I understand what produced the change in density now.

1. What is the cause of the increase in density of a hard boiled egg?

The increase in density of a hard boiled egg is mainly due to the coagulation of the egg white proteins and the denaturation of the egg yolk proteins. When the egg is heated, the proteins unfold and bond together, resulting in a tighter and more compact structure.

2. Does the age of the egg affect its density after being boiled?

Yes, the age of the egg can have an impact on its density after being boiled. As eggs age, the air cell inside the egg gets larger, causing the egg to become less dense. This can result in a slightly lower density of a hard boiled egg compared to a fresher egg.

3. How does the cooking time affect the density of a hard boiled egg?

The longer an egg is cooked, the more heat it is exposed to and the more proteins denature and bond together. This results in a higher density of the hard boiled egg. However, cooking the egg for too long can lead to a rubbery texture and affect the taste.

4. Are there any other factors that can impact the density of a hard boiled egg?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the density of a hard boiled egg, such as the temperature of the water used to boil the egg and the altitude at which the egg is cooked. Higher temperatures and higher altitudes can result in a slightly lower density due to the variation in boiling point.

5. Is the density of a hard boiled egg permanent?

Yes, once a hard boiled egg has been cooked and cooled, its density is permanent and cannot be changed. However, the density can be affected by external factors such as crushing or cracking the eggshell, which can result in a change in the egg's shape and density.