Density of an Ionic Crystal

In summary, the question asks for the density of LiCl given the distance between Li+ and Cl- ions (.257 nm) and the molecular mass of LiCl (42.4 g/mol). The solution is found by dividing the mass of LiCl (42.4 g) by the volume of the unit cell, which is calculated using the given distance and the number of ions in the unit cell (2 * 6.02 x 10^23). This results in a density of LiCl of approximately 2.07 g/cm^3. The confusion may have arisen due to misinterpreting the crystal structure of LiCl as face-centered cubic instead of body-centered cubic.
roeb

Homework Statement

The distance between the Li+ and Cl- ions in a LiCl is .257 nm. Use this and the molecular mass of LiCl 42.4 g/mol to compute teh density of LiCl.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am surprisingly having a lot of difficultly with this problem.
The LiCl crystal is face centered (as far as I can tell) so there is an entire LiCl and either a Li or Cl in the center (I think Cl, but I'm not sure).

If I follow the example in the book I can simply find the answer, but it doesn't make sense.

[tex]\rho[/tex] = m/V = 42.4 / (2 * 6.02 x 10^23 * r0^3)

This works but I don't understand it. Here is how I attempted to do it...

[tex]\rho[/tex] = m/V = (42.4 + 1/2 42.4) / (6.02 x 10^23 * r0^3)

I am assuming that since the problem doesn't give the information I can't look up whether or not Cl is in the middle or even the mass of Li and Cl separately. So I took 1/2 the mass of LiCl hoping that would average out. Unfortunately that gives an incorrect answer.

Does anyone have a way to explain why 1/2 is the correct factor in this case? It seems strange to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
sorry, i seem to have confused fcc with bcc...

The reason why 1/2 is the correct factor in this case is because in a face-centered cubic (FCC) crystal structure, there are 4 ions per unit cell. In this case, there are 2 Li+ ions and 2 Cl- ions in each unit cell. Therefore, when calculating the density, we need to take into account the total mass of all 4 ions in the unit cell, not just half of the LiCl molecule. This is why the correct equation is \rho = m/V = 42.4 / (2 * 6.02 x 10^23 * r0^3), where 2 represents the total number of ions in the unit cell.

In your attempt, you only considered half of the LiCl molecule, which is incorrect. Additionally, the FCC crystal structure does not have a single Li or Cl ion in the center, but rather a combination of both Li and Cl ions. Therefore, taking half of the mass of LiCl would not give an accurate result.

I hope this explanation helps clarify the concept.

1. What is the definition of density in terms of an ionic crystal?

Density refers to the mass of an ionic crystal per unit volume. It is a measure of how tightly packed the ions are in the crystal lattice.

2. How is the density of an ionic crystal calculated?

The density of an ionic crystal can be calculated by dividing its mass by its volume. The mass can be determined using a balance, while the volume can be measured using a ruler or calculated from the dimensions of the crystal structure.

3. What factors affect the density of an ionic crystal?

The density of an ionic crystal is primarily affected by the size and mass of the ions in the crystal lattice. Other factors such as temperature, pressure, and impurities can also have an impact on the density.

4. How does the density of an ionic crystal relate to its physical properties?

The density of an ionic crystal is closely related to its physical properties such as hardness, melting point, and thermal conductivity. Generally, a higher density corresponds to a stronger and more durable crystal.

5. Can the density of an ionic crystal change?

Yes, the density of an ionic crystal can change under certain conditions. For example, heating an ionic crystal can cause the ions to vibrate and expand, resulting in a decrease in density. Additionally, the introduction of impurities into the crystal lattice can also affect its density.