Density of Earth's Mantle w/o knowing radius

In summary, the average density of rock in the mantle is 5500 kg/m^3; the Earth's average density is 5500 kg/m^3; the ratio of core density to mantle density is 2.34.
Serik

Homework Statement

What is the average density of rock in the mantle? The Earth's average density is 5500 kg/m^3; the radius of the core is 3490 km; ratio of core density to mantle density is 2.34

Homework Equations

Pc = density core
Pm = density mantle
Pe = density earth
Mm = mass mantle
Mc = mass core
Rm = radius mantle

Pc/Pm = 2.34 so Pc/2.34=Pm

Pm = Mm/(4/3)*pi*Rm^3

Pc = Mc/(4/3)*pi*(3.49E6)^3

Rm = Re - Rc

Assume only the core and mantle compose the earth.

Mc/Vc + Mm/Vm = Me/Ve = Pe = 5500 (?)

The Attempt at a Solution

Pc/2.34 = Pm = (Mc/(4/3)*pi*(3.49E6)^3)/2.34I'm not sure what equation would give me Mc, the mass of the core. My other equation had the radius of the Earth as a variable. I think I'm just missing one equation, but I can't seem to find another relationship.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Suggest you use m = DV (mass is density * volume).
If you write Dc*Vc + Dm*Vm = Me (mass of core + mass of mantle = mass of Earth)
you know or can figure out everything except Dc and Dm = Dc/2.34
so only one unknown.

I'm totally lost in a page of equations...there's some simple relationship I'm missing.

After following your suggestion, I came up with the following:

Me/Ve = Pc*Vc + Pm*Vm/(Vm+Vc) = 5500 kg/m^3

Pm = 5500(Vc+Vm)/2.34Vc+Vm

I try and cancel terms so I'm not putting stuff in terms of Earth's radius or volume, but no luck.

I think you need to be given the Earth's radius. (Or volume or mass)

Just some little details to figure out. The volume of the mantle can be figured out - just subtract the volume of the core (found from its given R) from the volume of the Earth (look up its radius in the back of your physics text). Look up the mass of the Earth.
That's all you need to use
DcVc + Dc/2.34*Vm = Me
I get about 10 000 kg/m^3

Delphi51 said:
(look up its radius in the back of your physics text). Look up the mass of the Earth.
This sort of crap is what pisses me of about this Forum.

A well stated problem needs to include assumed data.

For example g

David

I'm coming at this from the other side of the desk - retired high school teacher.
No teacher wants to write the value of g, G, radius of the Earth, etc. into every question. This isn't laziness or a cost of paper issue - we want our students to understand physics well enough so they don't have to be told when g or G is needed in a problem. Our provincial exams do not have these values written in, either. Rather, we have a standard sheet of formulas and values that all students in the province (Alberta, Canada) use throughout the school year and on the exam. That is the proper solution - each course should have a list of common constants and measurements that students know they can refer to.

Most students have the really common ones like g and the charge on an electron stored in their calculators and they simply type g instead of 9.81 when doing a calculation.

Delphi51 said:
I'm coming at this from the other side of the desk - retired high school teacher.
No teacher wants to write the value of g, G, radius of the Earth, etc. into every question. This isn't laziness or a cost of paper issue - we want our students to understand physics well enough so they don't have to be told when g or G is needed in a problem. Our provincial exams do not have these values written in, either. Rather, we have a standard sheet of formulas and values that all students in the province (Alberta, Canada) use throughout the school year and on the exam. That is the proper solution - each course should have a list of common constants and measurements that students know they can refer to.

Most students have the really common ones like g and the charge on an electron stored in their calculators and they simply type g instead of 9.81 when doing a calculation.

I hope there is a teacher's "Common Room" where we can discuss this
sort of thing privately. In case you hadn't guessed I am a retired teacher myself.

No doubt no smoking would be allowed.

But how the **** do you ask someone to calculate something
without assuming something? (e.g. the density of the Earth's mantle)

Respect,
David

I thought I saw a staff room when I first saw this forum, but I don't see it now. We can send private messages - just click on a poster's name.

Not sure what you mean by assuming something like the density of the mantle. You wouldn't find that density in the list at the back of the book. But you can find it from the information given in the problem plus some very common numbers like the mass of the Earth.

What is the density of Earth's mantle without knowing its radius?

The average density of Earth's mantle is approximately 3.3 grams per cubic centimeter.

How is the density of Earth's mantle calculated without knowing its radius?

The density of Earth's mantle is calculated by dividing its mass by its volume. The mass of the mantle can be determined using the mass of the Earth, which is known, and subtracting the mass of the core and crust. The volume of the mantle can be estimated using seismic data and the known thickness of the mantle.

What factors influence the density of Earth's mantle?

The density of Earth's mantle is influenced by several factors, including the composition of the mantle, the pressure and temperature conditions, and the presence of different minerals and elements.

How does the density of Earth's mantle compare to the density of the crust and core?

The density of Earth's mantle is higher than the density of the crust, which ranges from 2.2 to 2.9 grams per cubic centimeter. However, it is lower than the density of the core, which is estimated to be around 10-13 grams per cubic centimeter.

Why is knowing the density of Earth's mantle important for scientists?

The density of Earth's mantle provides valuable information about its composition and physical properties, which can help scientists understand the structure and evolution of our planet. It also plays a crucial role in plate tectonics and the movement of Earth's lithosphere.