Density of fresh water problem

In summary, the conversation is about finding the depth at which the density of fresh water is 1% greater than its value at the surface. The person is unsure of which equation to use and the other person explains that the density of water does not increase with depth, but the pressure does. They also mention that impurities and other substances in the water may affect its density.
srfrgrl727
i am working on this problem and can't figure out how to go about it at what depth in fresh water is the density 1% greater than its value at the surface? i am not sure what equation to use.My answer choices are 230m, 2300m, 23,000m, or 230,000

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have an equation of the density of water as a function of depth or something like that?

I was under the impression that water was "incompressible"- the density does NOT increase with depth. The pressure exerted by water certainly does increas with depth- its proportional to the depth- but that's not density!

Yeah I am quite certain that the density doesn't increase... however realistically, the water with impurity and other stuff in it will be at a lower level--- hence having more mass...

I would suspect that the density change would not be linear.

What is the density of fresh water?

The density of fresh water is approximately 1 gram per cubic centimeter (g/cm3) at 4 degrees Celsius.

How does temperature affect the density of fresh water?

As the temperature of fresh water decreases, its density increases. This is because the molecules become more closely packed together, making the water more dense.

What is the significance of the density of fresh water?

The density of fresh water is important in many scientific and practical applications. It affects the buoyancy of objects in water, the circulation of ocean currents, and the mixing of different layers of water in lakes and oceans.

How is the density of fresh water measured?

The density of fresh water can be measured using a hydrometer or a density meter. These instruments determine the density by measuring the displacement of water caused by an object placed in it.

What factors can affect the density of fresh water?

Aside from temperature, other factors that can affect the density of fresh water include salinity, pressure, and dissolved substances. Changes in these factors can alter the density of water and impact its properties and behavior.