1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Density of fresh water problem

1. Apr 15, 2005 #1
    i am working on this problem and can't figure out how to go about it at what depth in fresh water is the density 1% greater than its value at the surface? i am not sure what equation to use.My answer choices are 230m, 2300m, 23,000m, or 230,000
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do you have an equation of the density of water as a function of depth or something like that?
  4. Apr 15, 2005 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I was under the impression that water was "incompressible"- the density does NOT increase with depth. The pressure exerted by water certainly does increas with depth- its proportional to the depth- but that's not density!
  5. Apr 16, 2005 #4
    Yeah I am quite certain that the density doesn't increase... however realistically, the water with impurity and other stuff in it will be at a lower level--- hence having more mass...

I would suspect that the density change would not be linear.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?