Density of power of Antennas?

In summary, the antenna discussed is 0.5m x 0.5m in size with a transmit frequency of 10GHz. At a distance of 100m, the electric field is 250 [V/m]. Using the formula 0.5*(E^2)/(120*pi), the density of power is calculated to be 82.891 [W/m^2]. The question is whether the density of power can be calculated at a distance of 10m and if an expression for the total power can be found using the known power gain. The equation "Pt=S*(4*pi*r^2)/G" is suggested for this calculation, with Pt representing the total power and S representing the power at distance r
axcelenator
Antenna is in size of 0.5[m] X 0.5[m], with transmit frequency of 10GHz. In a distance of 100m the electric field is 250 [V/m]. I calculated the density of power with the formula: 0.5*(E^2)/(120*pi) and got: 82.891
[W/m^2].
the question is: can I calculate the density of power again but un distance of 10m? My other question is: If I have a known G (G=a*D) can i find an expression for the total power comes from the antenna?

Can I use the formula: Pt=S*(4*pi*r^2)/G ? where Pt is total power and S is power in distance r. after I get Pt do I need to multiply it by the size of antenna?

Hi, I need the answer as quickly as possible. Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You weren't given what type of antenna this is? Each antenna has its own distinct equations for V, A, E, B, S, <S>, and P.

You should be able to find the power density (time averaged Poyting vector) at 10m by solving your equation for E at 100m (using your known value of E = 250) to obtain the value of many of the contants that are specific to your particular antenna. You can then use the value of those constants as a group to solve for the value of the time averaged Poyting vector at 10m.

As far as your other question - I think the equation "Pt=S*(4*pi*r^2)/G" looks fine. Assuming 'G' is the power gain and S is the time averaged Poynting vector we have already been discussing.. Because that means [itex]G = \frac{4 \pi r^2 S}{P_{t}}[/itex] which I think is right. And once you get [itex]P_{t}[/itex] I don't know why you would then want to multiply that by the dimensions of the antenna. [itex]P_{t}[/itex] is the total power radiated by the antenna.

I'm not an antenna expert (I've never dealt with the power gain equations before, only the directivity), so take my post with some suspicion, but nevertheless I hope I helped.

What is the definition of density of power of antennas?

The density of power of antennas is a measure of the amount of power transmitted or received by an antenna per unit area. It is also known as power density or power flux density.

How is the density of power of antennas calculated?

The density of power of antennas is calculated by dividing the total power transmitted or received by the area of the antenna. It is usually expressed in watts per square meter (W/m²) or milliwatts per square meter (mW/m²).

What factors affect the density of power of antennas?

The density of power of antennas can be affected by various factors such as the type and design of the antenna, the frequency of operation, the input power, and the distance between the antenna and the receiver or transmitter.

Why is the density of power of antennas important in wireless communication?

The density of power of antennas is important in wireless communication because it determines the strength and quality of the signal received by the receiver. It also affects the range and coverage of the wireless communication system.

What are the safety considerations for the density of power of antennas?

The density of power of antennas should be carefully monitored and controlled to ensure that it does not exceed safety limits set by regulatory agencies. Exposure to high levels of power density can have harmful effects on human health, so proper precautions must be taken when installing and using antennas.