Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Density of states, volume

1. Apr 17, 2013 #1
    In my text:

The number of states per unit volume of the real space & the reciprocal space is given by

1 / (4∏³)

No further explanation is given.

How do you get to this 4∏³

And how come the density of states is the same in real space & reciprocal space?

I think this is incorrect, they should be the reversed version of each other.

Thx in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2013 #2
    Consider a cubic box of size L. Then periodic boundary conditions imply that kx=nx*2pi/L where nx=0,1,2,3,... The same follows for ky and kz.
    Now you can see that in k-space a state with a given k occupies a k-space volume of (2pi/L)^3. Then the number of states per unit volume is (1/V) L^3 * 2 /(2pi)^3 and you get that result. The factor of 2 comes from the fact that the electron has 2 distinct values for the z component of the spin. Note that if you consider a rectangular box you would obtain an identical conclusion.

4. Apr 24, 2013 #3
    I have attached a figure from Ashcroft and Mermin.

Do this. In the case of 2D, take the reciprocal lattice and you draw a circle or radius k from the center.

How many electrons states you would have in that area encircled in k-space? If you can figure this out, you can easily find the answer you are looking for. Also, in the case of electrons, there are 2 electrons allowed for each state (spin).

If all else fails, you can use this formula. [itex]g(E)dE = 2g(k)dk/\nabla_k E(k)[/itex]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook