1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Density operator for one part of a two-party state

1. Apr 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let [itex]|\psi\rangle_{AB}=\sum_{i}\sum_{j}c_{ij}|\varphi_{i}\rangle_{A}\otimes|\psi_{j}\rangle_{B}[/itex] be a normalized two party state, being [itex]\{|{\varphi_{i}}\rangle_{A}\}[/itex] and [itex]\{|{\psi_{j}}\rangle_{B}\}[/itex] basis of H[itex]_{A}[/itex] and H[itex]_{B}[/itex] respectively, with dimensions N and M. Find [itex]\rho_{A}[/itex] and prove that it's positive and its trace is 1.

2. Relevant equations

Given in the attempt at a solution

3. The attempt at a solution

I first tried to find what was the state corresponding only to A, since I'm given a two party state but the density operator that I have to find relates only to A.
    I assumed that since A only "knows" about its part of the state, but not about the B part, then the state from A's point of view should be a mix of the part that A knows about over all of the possibilities for the B part (which A doesn't know), but I wasn't sure about how to express that.
    After some searching, I found this expression for the A part of the state:

[itex]|\psi\rangle_{A}=\sum_{j}\sum_{i}|c_{ij}|^{2}\frac{\sum_{i}c_{ij}|\varphi_{i}\rangle_{A}}{\sqrt{\sum_{i}|c_{ij}|^{2}}}[/itex]

And tried to see if it made sense with my "definition" of the state corresponding to A:

*[itex]|c_{ij}|^{2}[/itex] is the probability of the two party state being in [itex]|\varphi_{i}\rangle_{A}\otimes|\psi_{j}\rangle_{B}[/itex], and we sum that over all possible i's (meaing over all of the possibilities for the A part) so that would be the probability of finding [itex]|{\psi_{j}}\rangle_{B}[/itex], and since the very first sum, which affects all the following terms, is over all j's, this matches what I said about a mix over all of the possibilities for B.

*[itex]c_{ij}|{\varphi_{i}}\rangle_{A}[/itex] is the part of the state that A "knows" about; we sum that over all possibilities for A, so up until now I think this adds up to what I thought the state should look like.

*Finally, we have the [itex]\sqrt{\sum_{i}|c_{ij}|^{2}}[/itex] in the denominator that I hadn't accounted for, which I guess is a normalization constant but I'm not sure.

I would like to know if this last term is in fact a normalization constant or something different, and also if my reasoning is correct and, if it isn't, I'd really appreciate if somebody would point out where or why it fails.

Once I know the expression for [itex]|{\psi}\rangle_{A}[/itex] I think I can manage the rest just fine.

Thanks a lot for helping me out.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?