Density Operator to Matrix Form

In summary, the density operator for the given system is a 2x2 matrix with diagonal elements of 1/3 and 2/3 corresponding to the states |u> and |v>, respectively. The off-diagonal elements of the matrix, which are equal to √2/3, are determined by the inner product of the states |u> and |v>, which is zero. This arises from expanding the states in terms of orthonormal base states.
PatsyTy

Homework Statement

Write the density operator

$$\rho=\frac{1}{3}|u><u|+\frac{2}{3}|v><v|+\frac{\sqrt{2}}{3}(|u><v|+|v><u|, \quad where <u|v>=0$$

In matrix form

Homework Equations

$$\rho=\sum_i p_i |\psi><\psi|$$

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
The two first factors ##\frac{1}{3}|u><u|## and ##\frac{2}{3}|v><v|## pertain to the diagonal elements of the 2x2 matrix, I am unsure how to find the off diagonal elements for this matrix and the ##|u><v|## and ##|v><u|## I don't think are included in the sum I listed in the relevant equations.

In matrix form I have

$$\rho=
\left( \begin{array}{cc}
1 & ? \\
? & 2 \end{array} \right)$$

I have the suspicion that $$\frac{\sqrt{2}}{3}$$ is the offdiagonal elements, however, I don't want to put this down just off of my suspicion. Any tips, or things to think of for me would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is nothing deep to be appreciated here. Its just that u and v are somehow serving as the matrix indices. So uu and vv are the diagonal elements and uv and vu are the off-diagonal elements.

ShayanJ said:
There is nothing deep to be appreciated here. Its just that u and v are somehow serving as the matrix indices. So uu and vv are the diagonal elements and uv and vu are the off-diagonal elements.

Thank you, that is what I suspected. How do these cross terms arise from the equation

$$\rho=\sum_i p_i|\psi_i><\psi_i$$

It seems that these cross terms do not come from this summation as it is over only one index.

The states in that formula are not the base states. That definition is for when you want to assign classical probabilities for the system to be in different states that are not necessarily orthogonal. The off-diagonal terms arise when you expand those states in terms of orthonormal base states.

Likes PatsyTy
ShayanJ said:
The states in that formula are not the base states. That definition is for when you want to assign classical probabilities for the system to be in different states that are not necessarily orthogonal. The off-diagonal terms arise when you expand those states in terms of orthonormal base states.

Thank you, that makes sense!

What is a density operator and how is it related to a matrix form?

A density operator, also known as a density matrix, is a mathematical representation used in quantum mechanics to describe the state of a quantum system. It is related to a matrix form because it can be represented as a matrix, with each element representing the probability amplitude for a particular quantum state.

How is the density operator different from a pure state?

A pure state is a state in which a quantum system is in a specific state with 100% probability. A density operator, on the other hand, represents a mixed state, in which a quantum system has a probability of being in multiple states. This allows for a more accurate description of real-world quantum systems.

What is the significance of the trace of a density operator?

The trace of a density operator is an important quantity in quantum mechanics as it represents the expectation value of an observable. It is also used to calculate the purity of a quantum system, which indicates how close the system is to a pure state.

How can a density operator be used to calculate probabilities?

A density operator can be used to calculate probabilities by taking the inner product of the operator with a state vector. The resulting probability is the square of the absolute value of the inner product, which represents the probability amplitude for that particular state.

Can a density operator be used to describe classical systems?

No, a density operator can only be used to describe quantum systems. Classical systems do not exhibit quantum behaviors such as superposition and entanglement, which are necessary for the use of a density operator.