Construct Density Operator from Ensemble Average of Sx, Sy and Sz

In summary, the problem at hand involves constructing a density matrix from ensemble averages of Sx, Sy, and Sz. The density operator can be expressed as a linear combination of projection operators, and from there, equations can be derived to solve for the unknowns. It is important to note that for spin 1/2, there may be more equations than unknowns, and the density matrix must also satisfy the normalization condition.
Geocentric

Homework Statement

I have been given a problem. The density matrix can be constructed if the ensemble average of Sx, Sy and Sz are given. But I have no idea on how to construct the density matrix from these Si's. Any help is most welcome.

Homework Equations

Ensemble average(Si)=Trace([tex]\rho[/tex]Si)
Density operator([tex]\rho[/tex]) = wa.Pa + wb.Pb
where Pa & Pb are projection operators

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You should start by constructing the density operator from a suitable pair of eigenstates and arbitrary factors [tex]w_i[/tex]. You can then compute expressions for the ensemble averages and try to solve for your unknowns.

How many real parameters does a 2x2 Hermitian matrix have? What is the average of [itex]\langle S_{i} \rangle, \; i = 1,2,3[/itex] in a (mixed) state given by a density matrix?

Notice however that, if you start with Pa,Pb chosen in advance, for spin 1/2 you will have three equations for two unknowns.

A general density matrix for spin 1/2 is

[tex]\rho=\frac12\left(1+n_1\sigma_1+n_2\sigma_2+n_3\sigma_3\right)[/tex]

where [tex]n_1^2+n_2^2+n_3^2\leq 1[/tex]

Last edited:
Dickfore said:
How many real parameters does a 2x2 Hermitian matrix have? What is the average of [itex]\langle S_{i} \rangle, \; i = 1,2,3[/itex] in a (mixed) state given by a density matrix?

Also, you should impose the normalization condition of unit trace.

1. What is a density operator?

A density operator, also known as a density matrix, is a mathematical representation used in quantum mechanics to describe the state of a quantum system. It contains information about both the quantum state and the statistical probabilities of measuring different outcomes.

2. How is the density operator constructed from ensemble average of Sx, Sy, and Sz?

The density operator is constructed by taking the average of the operators Sx, Sy, and Sz over an ensemble of identical quantum systems. This is done by taking the sum of the individual density matrices for each system and dividing by the total number of systems in the ensemble.

3. What is the significance of using the ensemble average in constructing the density operator?

The ensemble average is used to account for the statistical nature of quantum systems. By taking the average over a large number of identical systems, we can obtain a more accurate representation of the system's state and its probabilities.

4. How does the density operator relate to observables in quantum mechanics?

The density operator allows us to calculate the expectation value of any observable in quantum mechanics. This is done by taking the trace of the product of the density operator and the observable operator. The resulting value represents the average measurement of the observable in the given quantum state.

5. Can the density operator be used to describe both pure and mixed states?

Yes, the density operator can be used to describe both pure and mixed states. For pure states, the density operator is a projection operator onto the state vector. For mixed states, the density operator contains a mixture of different pure states with corresponding probabilities.