Calculating Square Meters of Gold Leaf from 28.35g of Gold

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of creating gold leaf and how to calculate the amount of gold leaf that can be obtained from a given amount of gold. The question asks for the number of square meters of gold leaf that can be made from 28.35 g of gold, and the conversation mentions using density and volume calculations to find the answer. The conversation also suggests looking up the density of gold online to help with the calculations. The conversation ends with a suggestion to post similar questions in a specific subforum for more help.
ZackDT
Hi. First time asking question here so sorry if format is wrong.

Question:

Gold leaf, which is used for many decorative purposes is made by hammering pure gold into very thin sheets. Assuming that a sheet of gold leaf is 1.27x10^-5 cm thick, how many square meters of gold leaf could be obtained from 28.35 g of gold.

I know Density equals M/V and Volume equals M/D

I've devised that 28.35 is the mass, but I don't know what the volume is, or what I'm even trying to find (Volume or Density? I'm guessing volume)

All help welcome. Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for your question. I would be happy to provide a response to your inquiry.

To calculate the number of square meters of gold leaf that can be obtained from 28.35g of gold, we need to use the formula for density, which is mass divided by volume. In this case, the mass is given as 28.35g, and we need to find the volume.

To find the volume of the gold, we can use the formula for volume of a rectangular prism, which is length x width x height. In this case, the length and width are not given, but we can calculate the height using the given thickness of the gold leaf, which is 1.27x10^-5 cm.

To convert this thickness to meters, we need to divide it by 100, as there are 100 cm in 1 meter. This gives us a thickness of 1.27x10^-7 meters.

Now, we can plug in all the values into the formula for volume:

Volume = length x width x height

Volume = (length) x (width) x (1.27x10^-7 meters)

We do not know the length and width, but we do know that the gold leaf is in the shape of a rectangular prism. Therefore, we can assume that the length and width are equal, and we can use the formula for the area of a square to find the value of length and width.

Area = length x width

We know that the mass of the gold leaf is 28.35g, and we also know that the density of gold is 19.3 g/cm^3. Therefore, we can calculate the volume of the gold using the formula for density:

Volume = mass/density

Volume = 28.35g/19.3 g/cm^3

Volume = 1.47 cm^3

Now, we can plug this value into our original formula for volume:

1.47 cm^3 = (length) x (width) x (1.27x10^-7 meters)

Solving for (length) x (width), we get:

(length) x (width) = 1.47 cm^3/(1.27x10^-7 meters)

(length) x (width) = 1.16x10^10 cm^2

Now, we can use the formula for area to solve for length and width:

1. How do I convert 28.35g of gold to square meters?

The first step is to convert the weight of gold from grams to kilograms, which can be done by dividing by 1000. So, 28.35g of gold is equal to 0.02835kg.

Next, you will need to know the density of gold, which is approximately 19.3 g/cm3. This means that 1 cubic centimeter (cm3) of gold weighs 19.3 grams.

Finally, to find the volume of gold in cubic meters, we divide the weight (in kilograms) by the density. So, 0.02835kg / 19.3 g/cm3 = 0.001467 cm3. This is the volume of gold in cubic meters.

2. What is the formula for calculating square meters from grams?

The formula for calculating square meters from grams is:

Square Meters = (grams x 1,000) / (density x 1,000,000)

Where the density is in units of grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm3).

3. Can I use this formula for any type of metal?

The formula provided is specific to gold, as it requires the density of gold to calculate the volume. However, a similar formula can be used for other metals by using the appropriate density value for that metal.

4. Is there a simpler way to calculate square meters from grams of gold?

Yes, there is a simpler way to calculate square meters from grams of gold. You can use an online conversion tool or a unit conversion calculator to quickly convert grams to square meters. These tools will also allow you to easily convert between different units of measurement for various metals.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the calculation of square meters from grams of gold?

Yes, there are a few factors that can affect the calculation of square meters from grams of gold. These include impurities in the gold, temperature, and pressure. However, for most practical applications, these factors can be ignored and the provided formula will give an accurate estimation of the gold leaf's surface area.