Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Density question

1. May 24, 2012 #1
    Hello,

I will be honest and upfront, I am truly no chemist and actually have no clue on what to do..

I am trying to adjust the density of water, making it more dense is easy by just adding several grams of salt.
    But now here comes my problem, I need to make water less dense. The density I need is 0,94.
    Now I could easly say I can use alcohol and mix it up.

But the fluid should be disposable trough the sewage and not dangerous. I am a little stuck on this...

Thanks in advance.

Edwin

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2012 #2
    If you freeze water you get a density of .92 and mix with water in a slurry of ice/water to get the .94 density.

4. May 25, 2012 #3
    You can create a slurry of any less dense material with water and make it homogeneous (like milk and butterfat). Mud is a mixture of dirt and water with a density of more than 1.0.

5. May 27, 2012 #4
    You might also achieve your goal by simple aeration. The air or other gas can lower the effective density of the water.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook