Making Water Less Dense: A Chemistry Challenge

• Thread starter Edwine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Density
In summary, the conversation was about adjusting the density of water. The person was trying to make the water less dense but was unsure how to do so. They had considered using alcohol, but needed the water to be disposable through sewage and not dangerous. A solution was suggested to create a slurry using a less dense material, such as ice or milk, or by aerating the water with air or gas.
Edwine
Hello,

I will be honest and upfront, I am truly no chemist and actually have no clue on what to do..

I am trying to adjust the density of water, making it more dense is easy by just adding several grams of salt.
But now here comes my problem, I need to make water less dense. The density I need is 0,94.
Now I could easly say I can use alcohol and mix it up.

But the fluid should be disposable trough the sewage and not dangerous. I am a little stuck on this...

Thanks in advance.

Edwin

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you freeze water you get a density of .92 and mix with water in a slurry of ice/water to get the .94 density.

You can create a slurry of any less dense material with water and make it homogeneous (like milk and butterfat). Mud is a mixture of dirt and water with a density of more than 1.0.

You might also achieve your goal by simple aeration. The air or other gas can lower the effective density of the water.

Hello Edwin,

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your challenge with adjusting the density of water. I can offer some suggestions that may help you achieve your desired density of 0.94 without compromising the safety of the fluid.

One approach you could take is to use a less dense liquid, such as liquid propane or liquid butane, to mix with the water. These are commonly used in refrigeration systems and have low toxicity levels, making them safe for disposal through sewage. However, please keep in mind that these liquids are highly flammable, so proper precautions and safety measures should be taken when handling them.

Another option is to use a mixture of water and a lighter oil, such as mineral oil or vegetable oil. These oils have lower densities than water and can be easily disposed of through sewage. However, the downside to this approach is that the oil and water may not mix completely, leading to a less uniform density throughout the fluid.

I would also recommend conducting some experiments to determine the exact ratio of water and the chosen liquid that will give you a density of 0.94. This can be done by measuring the volume and mass of each component and using the formula for density (density = mass/volume).

I hope these suggestions are helpful in your quest to adjust the density of water. As always, please ensure to handle all substances with caution and follow proper safety protocols. Good luck!

Sincerely,

1. How can water be made less dense?

Water can be made less dense through a process called electrolysis, where an electric current is passed through water to separate it into its component gases, hydrogen and oxygen. Another method is by adding substances such as salt or sugar to water, which disrupt the hydrogen bonding between water molecules and decrease its density.

2. What are some applications of making water less dense?

Making water less dense has various applications in industries such as food and beverage, pharmaceuticals, and cosmetics. It is also used in desalination processes to remove salt from seawater and make it suitable for drinking or irrigation.

3. Is it possible to make water less dense without changing its chemical composition?

Yes, it is possible to change the density of water without altering its chemical composition. This can be achieved by altering the temperature or pressure of the water, which affects the spacing between water molecules and thus its density.

4. Can water be made less dense at room temperature?

Yes, water can be made less dense at room temperature by adding substances such as salt, sugar, or alcohol. These substances disrupt the hydrogen bonding between water molecules, causing them to spread out and decrease the overall density of the water.

5. How does making water less dense affect its properties?

Making water less dense can affect its properties in various ways. For example, it can lower the boiling point and increase the freezing point of water. It can also affect its solubility, viscosity, and other physical properties. Additionally, making water less dense can also change its taste and texture, making it more or less palatable for different uses.