1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Density question

1. Sep 12, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The density of a solution of ferric chloride is 1.058g/cc, and it is 7.00 percent by mass. What volume of the soltion (in mL) do you need to supply 34.0g of ferric chloride?

2. Relevant equations

D=m/v

3. The attempt at a solution

Not sure where to begin. I dont understand the statement, " and it is 7 percent by mass". Does this mean i ned to multiply 34*0.07? then just calculate the volume by rearranging the density formula?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2012 #2
    It means that 100 g of the solution contains 7 g of ferric chloride.

4. Sep 12, 2012 #3
    Where do I even begin on this question?

5. Sep 12, 2012 #4
    You know the absolute mass of ferric chloride you need to supply.

You know the mass percentage of it in the solution => you know the mass of the solution containing the required amount of ferric chloride.

Can you see what happens next?

6. Sep 12, 2012 #5
    muultiply mass by mass percentage?

7. Sep 12, 2012 #6
    You do understand that the solution is partly water and partly ferric chloride, right?

If, as voko pointed out, 100 gm of the solution contains 7 gm of ferric chloride, how many grams of solution contain 34 grams of ferric chloride?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook