Density Tests are they reliable

• Thread starter John1397
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Density
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of density tests to determine the purity of metals. The method involves hanging a piece of silver from a string and weighing it before and after submerging it in water. The resulting difference in weight is then divided by the dry weight to calculate the density. The conversation mentions a result of 8.76 g/cm3 for silver, which is lower than the expected density of 10.4 g/cm3. This suggests that the sample is not pure silver. Additionally, the density of melted down lead is mentioned to be 11.10 g/cm3, which is close to the expected density of 11.3 g/cm3. This indicates that the lead sample is reasonably pure.
John1397
I was wondering if density tests work as I have seen that you can hang a piece of silver from a string using a balance scale then weigh the silver dry then put it in distilled water at 70 degrees and weigh it again, subtract the difference and divided this number into the dry weight this is to be the density? Why you say do you ask well I took a piece of silver and did this and I came up with a density of 8.76 I thought silver was to be 10.4 I had some melted down lead and I do not know how pure it was but it's density was 11.10 seems kind of right just wondering if this is the method they use to tell if metals are made of what they say they are made of?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, this is the method they use to determine the density of a metal. The density of silver is 10.4 g/cm3, so your result of 8.76 g/cm3 indicates that the sample isn't pure silver. Lead has a density of 11.3 g/cm3, so your result of 11.10 g/cm3 suggests that your lead sample is reasonably pure.

1. What is a density test?

A density test is a scientific procedure used to determine the density of a substance. It involves measuring the mass of a sample and dividing it by its volume.

2. How do density tests work?

Density tests work by using the principle of density, which states that the mass of a substance is directly proportional to its volume. By measuring the mass and volume of a sample, the density can be calculated using the formula D=m/v, where D is density, m is mass, and v is volume.

3. Are density tests reliable?

Yes, density tests are considered to be one of the most reliable methods for determining the density of a substance. This is because they are based on a fundamental physical property and can be repeated multiple times to ensure accuracy.

4. What factors can affect the reliability of a density test?

The reliability of a density test can be affected by various factors, such as human error, variations in equipment, and the temperature and pressure of the environment in which the test is conducted. It is important to control these factors as much as possible to ensure accurate results.

5. How are density tests used in real-world applications?

Density tests have many practical applications, including in industries such as manufacturing, construction, and pharmaceuticals. They are used to determine the quality and purity of materials, as well as to identify unknown substances. Density tests are also used in environmental studies to measure the density of water and air, and in forensic investigations to analyze evidence.