Dental drilling unit

  1. An ME I know uses a "dental drilling unit"(his name for it) to finish metal prototypes. He bought it used from his dentist and says it's the absolute best hand-controlled tool for fine work, and recommends it to anyone who uses Dremel-type tools for their work(me) or even hobbies, and needs more precision. It uses compressed air, not electricity, and has much more torque and rpm's than Dremel-type rotaries that have almost no torque.

    What is the exact name or nomenclature of this type of machine and where could I find a used one? (I have to know the correct name of it to search auction sites and dental drilling unit doesn't do it.)

    Thanks for any help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Danger

    Danger 9,879
    Gold Member

    Personally, I've never heard of it called anything but a dentist's drill. Since the operation is pneumatic, I'd start with looking for that.
  4. FredGarvin

    FredGarvin 5,087
    Science Advisor

  5. I really like the Foredom rotary tools. Heavy duty motors, interchangeable handpieces, very high quality. The model I have doesn't match the high-speed of a Dremel, but the 1/3 horsepower motor is awesome.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook