Find All Possible Values of x When 3 Vectors are Linearly Dependent

In summary: I don't understand this equation. Your ##\vec a## is ##(1,0,0)## and your ##\vec c## is ##(0,1,0)##. They are orthogonal. But you can rotate ##\vec c## freely and it will still be orthogonal to ##\vec a##. So you can't expect any equation between coordinates of ##\vec c## and ##\theta##.I don't understand this equation. Your ##\vec a## is ##(1,0,0)## and your ##\vec c## is ##(0,1,0)##. They are
ehild said:
It is wrong, of course.
If a=(1,0,0) and b=(0,1,0), what should be the third coordinate of c so it is a linear combination of a and b?
The third coordinate is a linear combination of the third coordinates of both a and b, two zeros. What do you get if you combine two zeros?
##c=k(1,0,0)+b(0,1,0)##

Physics news on Phys.org
fiksx said:
if the plane is spread by a and b, the third coordinate is linear combination of a and b
The coordinate is not linear combination of vectors.

fiksx said:
##c=k(1,0,0)+b(0,1,0)##
It is better, but do not use b for coefficient: b was a vector.
So you can write ##\vec c = k(1,0,0)+ m(0,1,0). ## The scalar product ##\vec a \vec c ## =1 was given. What do you get for k?

ehild said:
It is better, but do not use b for coefficient: b was a vector.
So you can write ##\vec c = k(1,0,0)+ m(0,1,0). ## The scalar product ##\vec a \vec c ## =1 was given. What do you get for k?
k is 1?
i just want to know what c coordinate should be and how can i draw it.

fiksx said:
k is 1?
i just want to know what c coordinate should be and how can i draw it.
What is the magnitude of c?

ehild said:
What is the magnitude of c?

fiksx said:
yes. how do you get the magnitude of a vector from its components?

ehild said:
yes. how do you get the magnitude of a vector from its components?
by squaring the coordinate and take square root of it
if i choose ## c(1,1,\sqrt2)##, i got the magnitude 2 and it is also satisfy ##a.c=1## , is it right or wrong?

fiksx said:
by squaring the coordinate and take square root of it
if i choose ## c(1,1,\sqrt2)##, i got the magnitude 2 and it is also satisfy ##a.c=1## , is it right or wrong?
you know that ## c(1,1,\sqrt2)## is wrong, as it is independent of a and b.

ehild said:
you know that ## c(1,1,\sqrt2)## is wrong, as it is independent of a and b.
so you mean i have to find c coordinate that is dependent to a and b and satisfy ##a.c=1## ?

fiksx said:
so you mean i have to find c coordinate that is dependent to a and b and satisfy ##a.c=1## ?
yes, and |c|=2.

Last edited:
fiksx said:

first i chose ##a (1,0,0) , b (0,1,0) ## because ##a.b=0;b.b=0;a.a=0##
and suppose
##c(a,b,c)##
where ## c.c = (a^2+b^2+c^2)##
and ##a.c =1 , (1,0,0).(a,b,c)=1##
##a=1##,
and ##c.c=4##
so ##a^2+b^2+c^2=4##
##1+b^2+c^2=4##
##b^2+c^2=3##
since ##b.b=1##
##c^2=2##
so ##c= \sqrt 2##
is there another way to find c, beside this way?

fiksx said:
first i chose ##a (1,0,0) , b (0,1,0) ## because ##a.b=0;b.b=0;a.a=0##
and suppose
##c(a,b,c)##
where ## c.c = (a^2+b^2+c^2)##
You know already, that the third component of vector c must be zero.
And it is misleading if you denote the components and vectors with the same letter.
fiksx said:
and ##a.c =1 , (1,0,0).(a,b,c)=1##
##a=1##,
and ##c.c=4##
so ##a^2+b^2+c^2=4##
##1+b^2+c^2=4##
##b^2+c^2=3##
since ##b.b=1##

You see, "b" as component of vector c is not the same as the magnitude of the vector b.

fiksx said:
##c^2=2##
so ##c= \sqrt 2##
is there another way to find c, beside this way?
This is all wrong, as was said to you a thousand times, You show a vector again, that is independent with a and b. Start with ##\vec c## a vector in the plane of ##\vec a## and ##\vec b## , but denote the components with other letters, not with a, b, c,

I8unM.png
ehild said:
You know already, that the third component of vector c must be zero.
And it is misleading if you denote the components and vectors with the same letter.You see, "b" as component of vector c is not the same as the magnitude of the vector b.This is all wrong, as was said to you a thousand times, You show a vector again, that is independent with a and b. Start with ##\vec c## a vector in the plane of ##\vec a## and ##\vec b## , but denote the components with other letters, not with a, b, c,

i know and i understood,
##c=\alpha a+ \beta b##
##a.c=1##
##a(\alpha a+ \beta b)=1##
##\alpha=1##
##c.c=(\alpha a+ \beta b).(\alpha a+ \beta b)=\alpha^2+\beta^2=4##
##\beta^2=+/- \sqrt 3##
##x=b.c##
##x=b(\alpha a+ \beta b) ##
##x=\beta##

##\alpha^2+\beta^2=1+x^2=4##
do you mean this?

------since ##\alpha=1 , \beta=+/-\sqrt 3## ,##c= \alpha .a+\beta.b##
##c=1.(1,0,0)++/- \sqrt 3 (0,1,0)##
so ##c= (1, +/-\sqrt 3, 0)##

it is clearly angle between b and c is 60 degree,
ah i got it. i see from the picture, angle b and c is 150 degree
another question is there another wy to find c without using this way?

Attachments

• I8unM.png
    I8unM.png
    13.5 KB · Views: 293
Last edited:
fiksx said:
i know and i understood,
##c=\alpha a+ \beta b##
##a.c=1##
##a(\alpha a+ \beta b)=1##
##\alpha=1##
##c.c=(\alpha a+ \beta b).(\alpha a+ \beta b)=\alpha^2+\beta^2=4##
##\beta^2=+/- \sqrt 3##
That is wrong. can be β2 negative?
##\alpha^2+\beta^2=4## and α=1, what is β2?
fiksx said:
##x=b.c##
##x=b(\alpha a+ \beta b) ##
##x=\beta##

But what values can β have?

fiksx said:
##\alpha^2+\beta^2=1+x^2=\sqrt 3##[
do you mean this?
No, how come that ##1+x^2=\sqrt 3## ? This must be ##\vec c \cdot \vec c ## which is 4.
fiksx said:
------since ##\alpha=1 , \beta=\sqrt 3## ,
Can not have β some other value?
fiksx said:
##c= \alpha .a+\beta.b##
##c=1.(1,0,0)+\sqrt 3 (0,1,0)##
so ##c= (1, +/-\sqrt 3, 0)##
If β2=3 β can be √3 or -√3, but √3 is positive. At the end you wrote the correct solution, but take more care to the derivations.

ehild said:
That is wrong. can be β2 negative?
##\alpha^2+\beta^2=4## and α=1, what is β2?But what values can β have?No, how come that ##1+x^2=\sqrt 3## ? This must be ##\vec c \cdot \vec c ## which is 4.

Can not have β some other value?

If β2=3 β can be √3 or -√3, but √3 is positive. At the end you wrote the correct solution, but take more care to the derivations.
i just wanted to show that ##x=\beta## ,
anyway what i learn from this problem is from a.b=0, dot product=0 show that a and b is orthogonal to each other. so it imply a and b is independent to each other and it span the plane(?) while c is dependent to both a and b, it is in the span of a and b?
but without finding c coordinate, how can you know the angle between b and c can be 150 degree?

fiksx said:
i just wanted to show that ##x=\beta## ,
anyway what i learn from this problem is from a.b=0, dot product=0 show that a and b is orthogonal to each other. so it imply a and b is independent to each other and it span the plane(?) while c is dependent to both a and b, it is in the span of a and b?
but without finding c coordinate, how can you know the angle between b and c can be 150 degree?
Yes, vector c is in the span of a and b. What is the angle between a and c (both of them)? From that, what can be the angle between b and c?
But I do not see that the angle was asked in the problem.
upload_2018-5-28_16-4-24.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-28_16-4-24.png
    upload_2018-5-28_16-4-24.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 656
ehild said:
Yes, vector c is in the span of a and b. What is the angle between a and c (both of them)? From that, what can be the angle between b and c?
But I do not see that the angle was asked in the problem. View attachment 226295
yes from a and c 60 degree, and b and c is 30 degree, i mean there is another way to solve this using, ##x=b.c \cos \theta## ,
##x= ##
from ##a.c \cos \theta=1 ##, ##1.2 cos \theta=1##, angle between a and c is 60 degree.
##x=b.c \cos \theta## ## x=2.1 cos 30 = \sqrt3 ##
without finding coordinate, how do you know another angle is 150 degree?

ehild said:
But I do not see that the angle was asked in the problem. View attachment 226295
ah i think i got it, there is possibility that 60 degree is obtuse or acute angle with b from a

fiksx said:
yes from a and c 60 degree, and b and c is 30 degree, i mean there is another way to solve this using, ##x=b.c \cos \theta## ,
##x= ##
from ##a.c \cos \theta=1 ##, ##1.2 cos \theta=1##, angle between a and c is 60 degree.
##1\cdot 2 cos \theta=1## means that cosθ = 1/2. θ can be 60° or -60°. The angle between b and c can be 30°or 90+60= 150 °. See figure in the previous post.

ehild said:
##1\cdot 2 cos \theta=1## means that cosθ = 1/2. θ can be 60° or -60°. The angle between b and c can be 30°or 90+60= 150 °. See figure in the previous post.
ok thankyou so much for the help :D learn so much from your answer! sorry I am asking too much !

fiksx said:
ok thankyou so much for the help :D learn so much from your answer! sorry I am asking too much !
You are welcome :smile: