Depleted uranium

russ_watters
Mentor
Francis M said:
There's more of a health risk from the general vaporized smoke and debris from the destroyed target. How do we seperate that possible health risk from that of the DU?
This is my biggest criticism of anti-DU arguments. War is unhealthy, period. Whether you're standing next to a tank that just blew up, breathing everything from DU to burning plastic, to burning diesel fuel, or just inhaling the fumes your rifle gives off when you fire it, soldiers are exposed to a lot of hazardous chemicals.

I doubt DU makes up a significant fraction of reports of "Gulf-war syndrome," for example.

This is my biggest criticism of anti-DU arguments. War is unhealthy, period. Whether you're standing next to a just blewtank that up, breathing everything from DU to burning plastic, to burning diesel fuel, or just inhaling the fumes your rifle gives off when you fire it, soldiers are exposed to a lot of hazardous chemicals.

I doubt DU makes up a significant fraction of reports of "Gulf-war syndrome," for example.

I Also have to wonder what kind of health risks and problems are brought on by psychological trauma and stress.

On a side note I also saw a post with a poll asking if war was good or necessary? Boy is that a slippery slope to get on.

Sure, if you sit down and ingest a meal of lead every day, you'll have issues, as you would if you were hit by a lead bullet, but I have never seen any documented studies that legitimately show "lead pollution" is creating any sort of hazard to humanity.
flylake is offline Reply With Quote

There is significant danger from lead, in every pediatrician's office in Salt Lake, there is a map, showing that you should be tested for lead poisoning if you live in the older area of town.