1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Depletion of an element on dust

1. May 7, 2008 #1
    Hey there
    Could anybody answer the following question on dust grains and depletion of Silicon and Carbon on dust:

If D(Si)=-3, D(C)=-0.5, and the logarithmic cosmic abundances of Silicon and carbon relative to H as 12 are 7.5 and 8.5 respectively, what is the ratio of the number of atoms of Si to C in dust grains?

I have an exam on Friday and I'm kind of stuck.
    thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2008 #2
    I suppose by D(Si) and D(C) you mean the depletion levels? In that case, the fraction of Si in the gas phase is 10^-3. Now, figure out what fraction must be in the dust phase.

4. May 9, 2008 #3
    Should have mentioned that you need the cosmic abundances to figure out the number of atoms in dust phase after you get the fraction. Just curious, what class is this for?

5. May 10, 2008 #4
    Depletion

Hey there

This is for third year university astrophysics.
    I found out what the aswer is from my lecturer. But nothing about dust came up in the exam :(
    Nevermind
    thanks for your reply

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?