Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Deportation of an 89 year old nazi

1. Apr 14, 2009 #1
    Why is it that a nazi soldier following orders gets punished? He was following orders, if he didn't then he would be likely killed. So is this really a no win-win situation, for him and many nazis that were sentenced in the past?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090415/ap_on_re_us/demjanjuk [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2009 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Yes, it is a no win situation, but he gets punished for the same reason any murderer gets punished: he's a murderer.

You are, btw, assuming he was a normal person, forced to do it as opposed to being an ideologue who believed in the Nazi cause. But even if you are right, millions of normal Germans allowed those atrocities to happen when collectively they could have stopped them.

I can only hope if I was in that situation, that I would have the courage to point my gun at my superior officer instead of at the captives.

4. Apr 14, 2009 #3
    Makes sense. He's a war criminal and being old doesn't make him an exception.

And, there are no Nazis to protect him .. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  5. Apr 14, 2009 #4
    By the definition of war crimes by the Geneva convection he is a war criminal

Also included is denial to a fair trial, and torture. So by logical deduction American soldiers stationed in Guantanamo are war criminals as well.

6. Apr 14, 2009 #5
    My understanding is that the Geneva convention applies between two countries. That's why there is a legal debate as to its application against non nation-state aggressors.

7. Apr 14, 2009 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There was a choice - fight for the other side.

This should serve as a reminder that there is no justification for war crimes. Even sixty+ years after the fact, the world will still be watching.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  8. Apr 14, 2009 #7
    I am not sure but I think war crimes law only apply to nations that are weak. At least, there's some justice - better than nothing at all :).

9. Apr 14, 2009 #8
    I believe there was no other side at that time. Nazis were running concentration camps years before Normady. Plus Nazis invented propaganda, and people succumbed to group think. German military was hardcore, so your job as a soldier is to obey orders without question. Mafia kind of psychology.

I'm not trying to defend this guy, what he did was wrong.

10. Apr 14, 2009 #9
    That's obviously false.

11. Apr 14, 2009 #10
    That's rather convenient for them, isn't it?

12. Apr 14, 2009 #11
    good point.

13. Apr 14, 2009 #12
    it's what brought them down too

14. Apr 14, 2009 #13
    I removed the point about pirates. Thought you meant "propaganda" was convenient for the nazi

15. Apr 14, 2009 #14
    Oh, sorry. I meant the somalis. I will delete my post then.

16. Apr 14, 2009 #15
    The Nazi's didn't invent propaganda. It has been around since recorded history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propaganda#Ancient_propaganda

Fox news has the latest version.:devil:

All of our German rocket scientists up until the lunar landings were former Nazi's. In Germmany they had used slave labor to produce weapons that killed people.

17. Apr 14, 2009 #16

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I don't see what this has to do with your previous post, but in any case, if the international community agrees with you, they are free to attempt to prosecute the supposed crimes.
    There most certainly were ant-Nazi resistance groups in Germany and in occupied countries.

18. Apr 14, 2009 #17
    Yes, I would say partially. I forgot about Abu Garib. I still doubt over the effectiveness of UN war crimes or just UN in general.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allied_war_crimes_during_World_War_II

Initially, I was thinking about Israel (haven't seen any actions).

19. Apr 14, 2009 #18

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It's all well and good saying that in retrospect, but at the time this would have been an incredibly difficult thing to do. After all, how many people are willing to stand up and put themselves and their family's life on the line? If you turn a gun on a superior in Nazi Germany, you will most certainly be killed, along with your family. Remember that at the time Hitler made it perfectly legal to shoot any worker who went on strike let alone someone who rebelled against him!

It's easy enough to look back and say that there were millions of people who sat back and let this happen, but let's remember that at the time Germany was in depression (fuelled by the American depression), had a lot of Communism which the people didn't like, and was generally a beaten country who was not even permitted to build her own army (by the treaty of Versailles, which many Germans hated), and whom had no sense of pride, nationalism or anything else. Hitler offered a way out of this.

Before people start attacking me, note that I'm not condoning anything that the Nazi party did, but I'm just saying that one needs to consider the background to a situation instead of just looking back with 21st century eyes at a situation that they find hard to comprehend.

20. Apr 14, 2009 #19
    They could either choose to die by the hands of axis or allied. I don't see they had many options.

Looking at then economical situations and Hitler's propaganda, it was hard to escape IMO.

21. Apr 14, 2009 #20
    Yes, I also agree with that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook