Depressed about school progress

In summary, the protagonist is having a really hard time with taking a physics course in college. He is contemplating suicide and has decided to kill himself in the Rocky Mountains. He is considering trying to get help from a tutor or doctor, but ultimately decides to kill himself instead.
whypickthree
Hi all. I've been lurking for a while, reading all I can on getting a Physics BS. I posted another thread in the Academic and Career Guidance on my hopeful 3-year plan. Unfortunately it seems like I don't have the time (4 more years) or money to get an applied physics degree. I just started a physics major and I'm now finishing up analytic trigonometry so I can take Calculus I and Physics I.

At my University all math before calculus is taken on a computer/online. I don't understand Trigonometry! I know you need it for calculus and is a prerequisite for calculus and thus the physics course. It's identities really that I don't understand at all. I can regurgitate the basic formula and move it around to get other identities, but when it comes to verifying and solving equations, I have no idea what I'm doing or what to do. I have to have the rest of my class finished by next friday. A major problem for me is social situations and being around anyone I don't know. I start sweating profusely from my head and forehead. Once I notice it, I get self conscious then that makes me sweat more. So its quite the circular problem. I tried going into the computer lab to work on it there and maybe get help, but there was a puddle on my desk after 5 mins and I was still dripping...

I really really want to go into space and be involved with exploration and building ships. But it seems like if I can't get this done in the next week, all my plans will burst and I won't be able to take any classes. :( I can't even imagine what calculus will be like let alone 300 and 400 level math and physics classes...

I think I can drop the class before the 4th of Aug. But if I do that, then I would need to drop out of school. If I drop out of school I don't have insurance or a place to live. I currently work for my parents at their Funeral Home. And I could always have a job there. But I never want to do that for my career, hence the degree. It seems like the only jobs I would be interested in would be aerospace careers. But that won't happen now.

Seems I've gotten myself into quite the situation. I don't want to be a funeral director and I don't want a typical job. The answer seems clear to me now, like it always did when I was growing up.

I'm going to kill myself tomorrow in the Rocky Mountains. Hopefully no one will find my body. Bye Physics Forums.

-whypickthee

Physics news on Phys.org

One thing I do know personally, is that even despair is and can be temporary. --talk to someone --call someone ---

Why would dropping one class mean dropping out of school? Dropping classes is quite common.

If you're having a hard time with a class or two, get some tutoring. See a doctor about the excess sweating, it might actually be something that can be helped. Also, tell your tutor that you're very nervous and it makes you perspire, they will understand, and you in turn will be more comfortable knowing that they understand.

That is a really odd way to deal with dropping one class. I know I dropped many classes along the way, and made a major course change about 2 years into collage. Its really not a life altering event.

whypickthree said:
I'm going to kill myself tomorrow in the Rocky Mountains. Hopefully no one will find my body. Bye Physics Forums.

-whypickthee

Why don't just practice some trigonometry instead of wasting time on rocky mountains ? :rolleyes:

And if possible, try sleeping less and working hard for few days!

1. What are the common signs of being depressed about school progress?

The common signs of being depressed about school progress can include feelings of hopelessness or worthlessness related to academic performance, a lack of motivation to do schoolwork, changes in sleeping or eating patterns, and increased irritability or moodiness.

2. How can I tell if my depressed mood is related to school progress or something else?

If you are feeling down or anxious, it can be difficult to determine the root cause. However, if your mood is consistently low or anxious in relation to your academic performance, it is likely that your school progress is a contributing factor to your depression.

3. What steps can I take to improve my mood and school progress?

If you are feeling depressed about your school progress, it is important to seek support from a trusted adult, such as a teacher, counselor, or parent. They can help you identify any underlying issues and provide guidance on how to improve your academic performance. Additionally, practicing self-care, setting achievable goals, and seeking academic support can also improve your mood and school progress.

4. Is it normal to feel depressed about school progress?

It is not uncommon for students to feel depressed about their school progress at some point during their academic career. It is important to remember that setbacks and challenges are a normal part of the learning process, and seeking support can help you overcome these obstacles.

5. How can I support a friend who is depressed about their school progress?

If you have a friend who is struggling with depression related to their school progress, it is important to listen to them and offer support. Encourage them to seek help from a trusted adult and remind them that academic setbacks do not define their worth. Offer to study with them or help them create a plan to improve their academic performance.