Feeling Hopeless? Anyone Else After Recent Elections?

• News
  • Thread starter alexandra
  • Start date
  • Tags
    depression
In summary, a group of individuals discuss their struggles with staying optimistic in a world they feel is being taken over by destructive forces. They share their coping mechanisms, such as turning to wine or focusing on their own personal goals, and offer support to each other in their individual battles with depression and hopelessness. Some also discuss the potential connection between drinking coffee and depression.
alexandra
Hello all

Well, for the past few weeks I have been getting well and truly sloshed. Red wine. I just can't stand it any more - and was just interested in finding out if anyone else feels like there seems to be very little hope left. The 'right' seems to have won, hands-down. Fukuyama ('The End of History') seems to be correct. Humanity has lost. Oh, well. Drink wine while the nukes haven't fallen yet:-) No, seriously - I give up. Let Bush and company do their thing. There are enough uncritical followers in the world for them to destroy it without qualms now. Good luck, world:-) I no longer care...

Physics news on Phys.org
alexandra said:
Humanity has lost.

What motivates me is that I'm working for the ants, or their descendants. You know, after the mammals will be gone. Hopefully they will find my writings and it will enlighten them. It's what keeps me going :tongue2:

Alexandra, besides being "depressed", are you sure you haven't had more than a drink or two?

The bashing of protestors is initiating to emerge in Washington, this has a strong reminiscence to the case of President Nixon. What politics needs right now is more people involved in issues that really matter. Having written this I suddenly feel compelled to ask you to sober up. :biggrin:

vanesch said:
What motivates me is that I'm working for the ants, or their descendants. You know, after the mammals will be gone. Hopefully they will find my writings and it will enlighten them. It's what keeps me going :tongue2:
vansesch, my friend, you are an inspiration. But truly, I myself have turned to wine (and am also immersing myself in pure maths - another effective 'escape route'). I am disappointed in myself, but it seems I am not as strong as I thought I was. Stuff it! Let the loony right ruin the world, after all:-) Deplected uranium weaponry, global warming, rampant viscious capitalism - it's all too much for me. I'm just not 'man' (or rather, 'woman') enough to stand up to it. They win. At least I giggle in the final days (wine makes me giggle :tongue2: ) But good on you, vanesch - I'm glad at least you are still onto it. Good luck. :blushing:

Last edited by a moderator:
are you sure this ain't just the hangover talking?

Smurf said:

I think Alexandra should watch out. Being drunk "for a few weeks" is not a good sign! As much as "being drunk for a weekend" can have positive effects, a few weeks is dangerous.

So: from now on, only coffee (and Coca Cola of course) for the coming 3 weeks, ok ?

Smurf said:
No hangover's, friend Smurf. This is really *good* wine - no aftereffects. But I must admit, it helps get through the news and reading internet posts etc:-) More seriously, I'm hoping this is just a temporary state of 'temporary defeat' and that I will soon pick up the baton again and rejoin the race. Just for the moment I'm a bit exhausted. But I want to stay in touch with all of you - keep up the battle in the meantime, ok?

vanesch said:
I think Alexandra should watch out. Being drunk "for a few weeks" is not a good sign! As much as "being drunk for a weekend" can have positive effects, a few weeks is dangerous.

So: from now on, only coffee (and Coca Cola of course) for the coming 3 weeks, ok ?
LOL - thanks, vanesch! I don't know about coca cola, but may be persuaded to switch back to coffee (as of tomorrow, though - it's too late for coffee tonight!). And yes, it has been a dangerous few weeks. I'll sort myself out shortly, and will be posting referenced, heavy, meaningful posts with a vengeance - just you wait and see! (Thanks for the support, though:-)).

alexandra said:
No hangover's, friend Smurf. This is really *good* wine - no aftereffects.
Lucky you.

But I must admit, it helps get through the news and reading internet posts etc:-) More seriously, I'm hoping this is just a temporary state of 'temporary defeat' and that I will soon pick up the baton again and rejoin the race. Just for the moment I'm a bit exhausted. But I want to stay in touch with all of you - keep up the battle in the meantime, ok?
I'm sure you're recession will be over and done with in due time. We've all been there.

Smurf said:
I'm sure you're recession will be over and done with in due time. We've all been there.
:rofl: :rofl: Ok, sobering up somewhat - ok, yes. I must get it together again... soon. Sorry, Smurf - wrote you a another challenging message on another thread. Ignore it. I'll get myself together and do the research and find the references to keep arguing coherently tomorrow :smile: This has been extremely irresponsible of me; sorry, all.

I have chronic depression, a genetic disorder, take Serotonin and Norepinephrine re-uptake inhibitors for it (Duloxatine).

Hmm... I've never been depressed... sad maybe, but never depressed

And I never drink coffee

... maybe a connection? :)

Pengwuino said:

Before being depressed, something must first rise up :tongue2:

Pengwuino said:

And I never drink coffee

... maybe a connection? :)
I don't know about the connection between coffee and depression, Pengwuino - but what you and I *don't* share is your optimism that everything is 'hunky dory' in the world. I look at the world critically, and what I've seen recently has just been too much for me. But I don't think you should take up drinking coffee in any case (it isn't good for one for a number of reasons, medical people say). Anyway, I'd better get to bed now (sleep some of that depression off :smile:). Stay happy, Pengwuino.

You may want to involve yourself in a few life pursuits that don't require the agreement of majority sectors of the world population in order that you may succeed. Plant a garden, have a family, write a book. Do the things that have been making humans happy for thousands of years. If you want to believe the world will end, so be it, but just remember that people have believed that since the species came into existence, and we're still here.

Yeah, we're not as easy to kill as everyone makes out (mind you, don't go start thinkin' we're invulnerable now.)

oh my lord, what a fruitcake.

kat said:
Uhhh ... Which one? :confused:

No patience for the drama queens, eh? Well, everyone gets depressed now and then. The key is to realize you're being silly, even if you must despair anyway because you can't really help it.

By the way, Smoking Man, I think you're going to reach 1,000 posts within your first two months. That takes some true devotion.

loseyourname said:
No patience for the drama queens, eh? Well, everyone gets depressed now and then. The key is to realize you're being silly, even if you must despair anyway because you can't really help it.

By the way, Smoking Man, I think you're going to reach 1,000 posts within your first two months. That takes some true devotion.
I'm so proud ... and only two warnings from Evo too.
o:)

kat said:
:rofl: What an entirely predictable response. Of course, anyone who is silly enough to worry about the state of the world at the moment is a 'fruitcake'. Let's just keep those old blinkers on, kat - how does that song go? Oh yes, "Don't worry... Be happy..." :smile:

Well alexsandra, it's been along time that I've been feeling like you. So I decided not to participate in any political discussion, but well this forum's made me to keep up with the awful news and sometimes discussions again!

vanesch said:
:rofl: :rofl: Again ants! :wink:

Lisa! said:
Well alexsandra, it's been along time that I've been feeling like you. So I decided not to participate in any political discussion, but well this forum's made me to keep up with the awful news and sometimes discussions again!
Hi Lisa! - I guess every now and then we just need to take a bit of a 'break' from it all so we can regain our strength. In any case, as many have pointed out (thanks DM, vanesch, Smurf, etc), it is important to participate in these discussions (and in political life in general) so it's not an option to just walk away from it altogether. By the way, Lisa!, I enjoy reading your posts and the questions you ask :smile:

alexandra said:
Hi Lisa! - I guess every now and then we just need to take a bit of a 'break' from it all so we can regain our strength. In any case, as many have pointed out (thanks DM, vanesch, Smurf, etc), it is important to participate in these discussions (and in political life in general) so it's not an option to just walk away from it altogether. By the way, Lisa!, I enjoy reading your posts and the questions you ask :smile:
Very nice of you. :smile: I think most of people in "politics and world affairs" esp. you are so knowledgeable and I hope I don't make them too tired by my questions. :blushing:

Lisa! said:
Very nice of you. :smile: I think most of people in "politics and world affairs" esp. you are so knowledgeable and I hope I don't make them too tired by my questions. :blushing:
Ah, thanks for the compliment, Lisa! I'm not that knowledgeable, though - there is always so much to read and learn. Your questions are not at all tiring - they make people think. I especially like how when you ask a question and it is not answered clearly, you keep pressing for clarification; that's excellent :approve:

alexandra said:
:rofl: What an entirely predictable response. Of course, anyone who is silly enough to worry about the state of the world at the moment is a 'fruitcake'. Let's just keep those old blinkers on, kat - how does that song go? Oh yes, "Don't worry... Be happy..." :smile:

Lol, you're rather obtuse aren't you?
Maybe it's just your news source.

http://www.investors.com/editorial/IBDArticles.asp?artsec=20&artnum=3 [Broken]

Public Opinion: Other than why the long and short ends of the yield curve can't get along, the biggest mystery surrounding the economy seems be why the average citizen is so unimpressed with it.

Still another reason may be the way the media deliver the message. Is public confidence, in other words, affected by the spin (let's be blunt about it) that news outlets put on the information they disseminate?

Not surprisingly, listeners to talk radio were by far the most positive, especially about the leadership that President Bush is providing and the direction in which he's taking the country. But then, talk radio is a haven for conservatives who have fled "mainstream" media they view as too liberal and too negative.

In fact, when we combined the six categories to determine an overall "National Outlook" index, and then broke that down by demographic group, Republicans registered a very upbeat 63.5 this month while Democrats came in at a dismal 35.7.

Also not surprisingly, those who depend most on two bastions of the mainstream media — newspapers and news magazines — had the most bearish readings.

Most of the country's major metropolitan newspapers, including The New York Times, Washington Post and Los Angeles Times, are considered liberal. So are the two leading news magazines, Time and Newsweek.

Viewers of cable TV were more positive than those who rely on network news. This probably reflects the influence of the top-rated Fox News Channel, another destination for conservatives put off by the left-leaning sameness of CBS, NBC and ABC.

So, yes, there appears to be a connection between where people get their information and how they feel about it.

alexandra said:
Ah, thanks for the compliment, Lisa!
I just said what I really felt about you. :smile:

I especially like how when you ask a question and it is not answered clearly, you keep pressing for clarification; that's excellent :approve:
I hope those who have to answer my question, don't get angry at me too much. :wink:

kat said:
Stop being tiresome and childish, kat. I would appreciate it if you did not call me names like 'a fruitcake' and 'obtuse'. Those are personal insults, and according to the rules of these forums you are not meant to insult people like this. Yes, believe it or not: I am a person, and I have feelings (just like everyone else in these discussions - including you). I don't mean to be rude, but I would really like you to stop insulting me, ok?

I don't watch cable TV at all. I don't live in the US and I certainly don't pay subscriptions for Fox or any other kind of propaganda. My news sources tend to be in-depth analytical articles written by people who invest a lot of time and effort into researching their topics. I agree with the statement in the article you quoted that current affairs radio programmes are more informative than television, and I listen to a lot of those as well - in-depth analytical programs on the national publicly funded independent (sort of) station in Australia. There does seem to be a major difference between our radio in Australia and the radio referred to in the article you quoted, though - ours tends to adopt more of a critical perspective, it seems.

hey,

I was incredibly depressed last november - and it hung on for quite a while, but as democrats started to show a small backbone (standing against the electoral vote, opposing Bolton, there were other stands...) I started to feel less pessimistic.

Having Bush on vacation has felt like a vacation for me, too - heheh - the headlines have to do with the weather and whatnot instead of Bush and that's nice. He should extend his vacation. The world seems to be going along just fine while he's on his boat with his security guys and whatnot.

His approval ratings are the lowest of his Residency (he sank to 40% in a recent NYT poll, +/- 3%). He is vying for the worst approval of any second termer in history.

Sheehan is starting something - a dialog, a shift; even if it's more polarisation, which we none of us really think is good, perhaps it will create enough tension to get us somewhere better. It certainly makes it harder to wage additional wars.

So, no, I would have to say that I am less depressed than I had been. I think given the sinking approvals all around, the 2006 elections will see some shake-up. Maybe democrats will retake something ---

Of course, it doesn't matter if the machines are fixing the votes. But at least bush doesn't have a "wide berth" as he did first term.

alexandra said:
Hello all

Well, for the past few weeks I have been getting well and truly sloshed. Red wine. I just can't stand it any more - and was just interested in finding out if anyone else feels like there seems to be very little hope left. The 'right' seems to have won, hands-down. Fukuyama ('The End of History') seems to be correct. Humanity has lost. Oh, well. Drink wine while the nukes haven't fallen yet:-) No, seriously - I give up. Let Bush and company do their thing. There are enough uncritical followers in the world for them to destroy it without qualms now. Good luck, world:-) I no longer care...
When I feel depressed I look out at the world and realize it is so big and I am so insignificant, that being depressed is act of self indulgence.

What makes me so important?

I realize that all I have in life are my thoughts and my actions, those are the only things in life that are truly and uniquely mine. So in the final analysis my only purpose in life is to perfect my thoughts and act accordingly.

Live my life like I believe I should and don't sweat the small stuff. And next to eternity/infinity, everything else is small stuff!

alexandra said:
There does seem to be a major difference between our radio in Australia and the radio referred to in the article you quoted, though - ours tends to adopt more of a critical perspective, it seems.

I didn't realize you were in Australia. I have definitely seen some disturbing things coming out of Australia lately. I can't recall them specifically, something about troops, and something else...

Pengwuino:

glad you aren't depressed. But as far as coffee and depression goes, studies show that the risk of suicide among coffee drinkers is one third less than among non-caffeine drinkers.

your hypothesis doesn't fit with the reported evidence.

Still, good on you for being non-depressed.

kat said:

http://www.investors.com/editorial/IBDArticles.asp?artsec=20&artnum=3 [Broken]
Let's all just pretend that everything is OK.

pattylou said:
I didn't realize you were in Australia. I have definitely seen some disturbing things coming out of Australia lately. I can't recall them specifically, something about troops, and something else...
Kangaroos? :confused:

arildno said:
Kangaroos? :confused:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Thanks, arildno - I really needed that laugh! You know, though, I haven't seen that many (mostly I've seen dead kangaroos along the side of the road).

To get back to your observation re-Australia, pattylou - yes, there has been some pretty disturbing developments out this way (so many I don't know where to start). Something that may have been in US news is that the Australian government has decided to send more troops to Afghanistan. I believe Australia doesn't get much coverage in the US, though, so I don't know whether you'll be aware of any of the other politics happening here. Like in the US, our version of the Republican Party (called the Liberal Party) now controls both our houses of parliament (the lower house - called the House of Representatives, and the upper house, the Senate). This means they are passing all sorts of anti-people legislation without opposition (not that our 'opposition' party, nominally the Labor Party, is any different to so-called 'labour' parties around the world anyway). And then there's all sorts of stuff about uranium mining, labour legislation, increasing student fees at unis... heaps of changes that are radically and very quickly changing the structure of Australian society... Sorry, I don't want to bore you with too much detail - these are just very sketchy details, in case you're interested.