Depressed - how about you?

  • News
  • Thread starter alexandra
  • Start date
  • Tags
    depression
  • #1
alexandra
Hello all

Well, for the past few weeks I have been getting well and truly sloshed. Red wine. I just can't stand it any more - and was just interested in finding out if anyone else feels like there seems to be very little hope left. The 'right' seems to have won, hands-down. Fukuyama ('The End of History') seems to be correct. Humanity has lost. Oh, well. Drink wine while the nukes haven't fallen yet:-) No, seriously - I give up. Let Bush and company do their thing. There are enough uncritical followers in the world for them to destroy it without qualms now. Good luck, world:-) I no longer care...
 

Answers and Replies

  • #2
vanesch
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
5,028
16
alexandra said:
Humanity has lost.
What motivates me is that I'm working for the ants, or their descendants. You know, after the mammals will be gone. Hopefully they will find my writings and it will enlighten them. It's what keeps me going :tongue2:
 
  • #3
DM
154
0
Alexandra, besides being "depressed", are you sure you haven't had more than a drink or two?

The bashing of protestors is initiating to emerge in Washington, this has a strong reminiscence to the case of President Nixon. What politics needs right now is more people involved in issues that really matter. Having written this I suddenly feel compelled to ask you to sober up. :biggrin:
 
  • #4
alexandra
vanesch said:
What motivates me is that I'm working for the ants, or their descendants. You know, after the mammals will be gone. Hopefully they will find my writings and it will enlighten them. It's what keeps me going :tongue2:
vansesch, my friend, you are an inspiration. But truly, I myself have turned to wine (and am also immersing myself in pure maths - another effective 'escape route'). I am disappointed in myself, but it seems I am not as strong as I thought I was. Stuff it! Let the loony right ruin the world, after all:-) Deplected uranium weaponry, global warming, rampant viscious capitalism - it's all too much for me. I'm just not 'man' (or rather, 'woman') enough to stand up to it. They win. At least I giggle in the final days (wine makes me giggle :tongue2: ) But good on you, vanesch - I'm glad at least you are still onto it. Good luck. :blushing:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • #5
356
3
are you sure this ain't just the hangover talking?
 
  • #6
vanesch
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
5,028
16
Smurf said:
are you sure this ain't just the hangover talking?
I think Alexandra should watch out. Being drunk "for a few weeks" is not a good sign! As much as "being drunk for a weekend" can have positive effects, a few weeks is dangerous.

So: from now on, only coffee (and Coca Cola of course) for the coming 3 weeks, ok ?
 
  • #7
alexandra
Smurf said:
are you sure this ain't just the hangover talking?
No hangover's, friend Smurf. This is really *good* wine - no aftereffects. But I must admit, it helps get through the news and reading internet posts etc:-) More seriously, I'm hoping this is just a temporary state of 'temporary defeat' and that I will soon pick up the baton again and rejoin the race. Just for the moment I'm a bit exhausted. But I want to stay in touch with all of you - keep up the battle in the meantime, ok?
 
  • #8
alexandra
vanesch said:
I think Alexandra should watch out. Being drunk "for a few weeks" is not a good sign! As much as "being drunk for a weekend" can have positive effects, a few weeks is dangerous.

So: from now on, only coffee (and Coca Cola of course) for the coming 3 weeks, ok ?
LOL - thanks, vanesch! I don't know about coca cola, but may be persuaded to switch back to coffee (as of tomorrow, though - it's too late for coffee tonight!). And yes, it has been a dangerous few weeks. I'll sort myself out shortly, and will be posting referenced, heavy, meaningful posts with a vengeance - just you wait and see! (Thanks for the support, though:-)).
 
  • #9
356
3
alexandra said:
No hangover's, friend Smurf. This is really *good* wine - no aftereffects.
Lucky you.

But I must admit, it helps get through the news and reading internet posts etc:-) More seriously, I'm hoping this is just a temporary state of 'temporary defeat' and that I will soon pick up the baton again and rejoin the race. Just for the moment I'm a bit exhausted. But I want to stay in touch with all of you - keep up the battle in the meantime, ok?
I'm sure you're recession will be over and done with in due time. We've all been there.
 
  • #10
alexandra
Smurf said:
I'm sure you're recession will be over and done with in due time. We've all been there.
:rofl: :rofl: Ok, sobering up somewhat - ok, yes. I must get it together again... soon. Sorry, Smurf - wrote you a another challenging message on another thread. Ignore it. I'll get myself together and do the research and find the references to keep arguing coherently tomorrow :smile: This has been extremely irresponsible of me; sorry, all.
 
  • #11
I have chronic depression, a genetic disorder, take Serotonin and Norepinephrine re-uptake inhibitors for it (Duloxatine).
 
  • #12
Pengwuino
Gold Member
4,989
16
Hmm... ive never been depressed... sad maybe, but never depressed

And I never drink coffee

.... maybe a connection? :)
 
  • #13
vanesch
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
5,028
16
Pengwuino said:
Hmm... ive never been depressed... sad maybe, but never depressed
Before being depressed, something must first rise up :tongue2:
 
  • #14
alexandra
Pengwuino said:
Hmm... ive never been depressed... sad maybe, but never depressed

And I never drink coffee

.... maybe a connection? :)
I don't know about the connection between coffee and depression, Pengwuino - but what you and I *don't* share is your optimism that everything is 'hunky dory' in the world. I look at the world critically, and what I've seen recently has just been too much for me. But I don't think you should take up drinking coffee in any case (it isn't good for one for a number of reasons, medical people say). Anyway, I'd better get to bed now (sleep some of that depression off :smile:). Stay happy, Pengwuino.
 
  • #15
loseyourname
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
1,749
5
You may want to involve yourself in a few life pursuits that don't require the agreement of majority sectors of the world population in order that you may succeed. Plant a garden, have a family, write a book. Do the things that have been making humans happy for thousands of years. If you want to believe the world will end, so be it, but just remember that people have believed that since the species came into existence, and we're still here.
 
  • #16
356
3
Yeah, we're not as easy to kill as everyone makes out (mind you, don't go start thinkin' we're invulnerable now.)
 
  • #17
kat
26
0
oh my lord, what a fruitcake.
 
  • #18
kat said:
oh my lord, what a fruitcake.
Uhhh ... Which one? :confused:
 
  • #19
loseyourname
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
1,749
5
No patience for the drama queens, eh? Well, everyone gets depressed now and then. The key is to realize you're being silly, even if you must despair anyway because you can't really help it.

By the way, Smoking Man, I think you're going to reach 1,000 posts within your first two months. That takes some true devotion.
 
  • #20
loseyourname said:
No patience for the drama queens, eh? Well, everyone gets depressed now and then. The key is to realize you're being silly, even if you must despair anyway because you can't really help it.

By the way, Smoking Man, I think you're going to reach 1,000 posts within your first two months. That takes some true devotion.
I'm so proud ... and only two warnings from Evo too.
o:)
 
  • #21
alexandra
kat said:
oh my lord, what a fruitcake.
:rofl: What an entirely predictable response. Of course, anyone who is silly enough to worry about the state of the world at the moment is a 'fruitcake'. Let's just keep those old blinkers on, kat - how does that song go? Oh yes, "Don't worry... Be happy..." :smile:
 
  • #22
Lisa!
Gold Member
612
96
Well alexsandra, it's been along time that I've been feeling like you. So I decided not to participate in any political discussion, but well this forum's made me to keep up with the awful news and sometimes discussions again!







vanesch said:
What motivates me is that I'm working for the ants, or their descendants. You know, after the mammals will be gone. Hopefully they will find my writings and it will enlighten them. It's what keeps me going :tongue2:
:rofl: :rofl: Again ants! :wink:
 
  • #23
alexandra
Lisa! said:
Well alexsandra, it's been along time that I've been feeling like you. So I decided not to participate in any political discussion, but well this forum's made me to keep up with the awful news and sometimes discussions again!
Hi Lisa! - I guess every now and then we just need to take a bit of a 'break' from it all so we can regain our strength. In any case, as many have pointed out (thanks DM, vanesch, Smurf, etc), it is important to participate in these discussions (and in political life in general) so it's not an option to just walk away from it altogether. By the way, Lisa!, I enjoy reading your posts and the questions you ask :smile:
 
  • #24
Lisa!
Gold Member
612
96
alexandra said:
Hi Lisa! - I guess every now and then we just need to take a bit of a 'break' from it all so we can regain our strength. In any case, as many have pointed out (thanks DM, vanesch, Smurf, etc), it is important to participate in these discussions (and in political life in general) so it's not an option to just walk away from it altogether. By the way, Lisa!, I enjoy reading your posts and the questions you ask :smile:
Very nice of you. :smile: I think most of people in "politics and world affairs" esp. you are so knowledgeable and I hope I don't make them too tired by my questions. :blushing:
 
  • #25
alexandra
Lisa! said:
Very nice of you. :smile: I think most of people in "politics and world affairs" esp. you are so knowledgeable and I hope I don't make them too tired by my questions. :blushing:
Ah, thanks for the compliment, Lisa! I'm not that knowledgeable, though - there is always so much to read and learn. Your questions are not at all tiring - they make people think. I especially like how when you ask a question and it is not answered clearly, you keep pressing for clarification; that's excellent :approve:
 

Related Threads on Depressed - how about you?

  • Last Post
Replies
13
Views
3K
  • Last Post
Replies
8
Views
3K
  • Last Post
Replies
17
Views
7K
  • Last Post
Replies
4
Views
2K
  • Last Post
2
Replies
32
Views
5K
  • Last Post
Replies
3
Views
2K
Replies
47
Views
5K
  • Last Post
5
Replies
124
Views
21K
Replies
11
Views
2K
  • Last Post
Replies
16
Views
3K
Top