Depressed - how about you?

1. Hello all

Well, for the past few weeks I have been getting well and truly sloshed. Red wine. I just can't stand it any more - and was just interested in finding out if anyone else feels like there seems to be very little hope left. The 'right' seems to have won, hands-down. Fukuyama ('The End of History') seems to be correct. Humanity has lost. Oh, well. Drink wine while the nukes haven't fallen yet:-) No, seriously - I give up. Let Bush and company do their thing. There are enough uncritical followers in the world for them to destroy it without qualms now. Good luck, world:-) I no longer care...

2. jcsd
  3. vanesch

vanesch 6,236
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What motivates me is that I'm working for the ants, or their descendants. You know, after the mammals will be gone. Hopefully they will find my writings and it will enlighten them. It's what keeps me going :tongue2:

4. Alexandra, besides being "depressed", are you sure you haven't had more than a drink or two?

The bashing of protestors is initiating to emerge in Washington, this has a strong reminiscence to the case of President Nixon. What politics needs right now is more people involved in issues that really matter. Having written this I suddenly feel compelled to ask you to sober up. :biggrin:

5. vansesch, my friend, you are an inspiration. But truly, I myself have turned to wine (and am also immersing myself in pure maths - another effective 'escape route'). I am disappointed in myself, but it seems I am not as strong as I thought I was. Stuff it! Let the loony right ruin the world, after all:-) Deplected uranium weaponry, global warming, rampant viscious capitalism - it's all too much for me. I'm just not 'man' (or rather, 'woman') enough to stand up to it. They win. At least I giggle in the final days (wine makes me giggle :tongue2: ) But good on you, vanesch - I'm glad at least you are still onto it. Good luck. :blushing:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2005
  6. are you sure this ain't just the hangover talking?

7. vanesch

vanesch 6,236
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think Alexandra should watch out. Being drunk "for a few weeks" is not a good sign! As much as "being drunk for a weekend" can have positive effects, a few weeks is dangerous.

So: from now on, only coffee (and Coca Cola of course) for the coming 3 weeks, ok ?

8. No hangover's, friend Smurf. This is really *good* wine - no aftereffects. But I must admit, it helps get through the news and reading internet posts etc:-) More seriously, I'm hoping this is just a temporary state of 'temporary defeat' and that I will soon pick up the baton again and rejoin the race. Just for the moment I'm a bit exhausted. But I want to stay in touch with all of you - keep up the battle in the meantime, ok?

9. LOL - thanks, vanesch! I don't know about coca cola, but may be persuaded to switch back to coffee (as of tomorrow, though - it's too late for coffee tonight!). And yes, it has been a dangerous few weeks. I'll sort myself out shortly, and will be posting referenced, heavy, meaningful posts with a vengeance - just you wait and see! (Thanks for the support, though:-)).

10. Lucky you.

I'm sure you're recession will be over and done with in due time. We've all been there.

11. :rofl: :rofl: Ok, sobering up somewhat - ok, yes. I must get it together again... soon. Sorry, Smurf - wrote you a another challenging message on another thread. Ignore it. I'll get myself together and do the research and find the references to keep arguing coherently tomorrow :smile: This has been extremely irresponsible of me; sorry, all.

12. I have chronic depression, a genetic disorder, take Serotonin and Norepinephrine re-uptake inhibitors for it (Duloxatine).

13. Pengwuino

Pengwuino 7,119
    Gold Member

Hmm... ive never been depressed... sad maybe, but never depressed

And I never drink coffee

.... maybe a connection? :)

14. vanesch

vanesch 6,236
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Before being depressed, something must first rise up :tongue2:

15. I don't know about the connection between coffee and depression, Pengwuino - but what you and I *don't* share is your optimism that everything is 'hunky dory' in the world. I look at the world critically, and what I've seen recently has just been too much for me. But I don't think you should take up drinking coffee in any case (it isn't good for one for a number of reasons, medical people say). Anyway, I'd better get to bed now (sleep some of that depression off :smile:). Stay happy, Pengwuino.

16. loseyourname

loseyourname 3,632
    Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

You may want to involve yourself in a few life pursuits that don't require the agreement of majority sectors of the world population in order that you may succeed. Plant a garden, have a family, write a book. Do the things that have been making humans happy for thousands of years. If you want to believe the world will end, so be it, but just remember that people have believed that since the species came into existence, and we're still here.

17. Yeah, we're not as easy to kill as everyone makes out (mind you, don't go start thinkin' we're invulnerable now.)

18. oh my lord, what a fruitcake.

19. Uhhh ... Which one? :confused:

20. loseyourname

loseyourname 3,632
    Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

No patience for the drama queens, eh? Well, everyone gets depressed now and then. The key is to realize you're being silly, even if you must despair anyway because you can't really help it.

By the way, Smoking Man, I think you're going to reach 1,000 posts within your first two months. That takes some true devotion.

21. I'm so proud ... and only two warnings from Evo too.
    o:)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook
: Depression