Feeling Hopeless? Anyone Else After Recent Elections?

• News
  • Thread starter alexandra
  • Start date
  • Tags
    depression
In summary, a group of individuals discuss their struggles with staying optimistic in a world they feel is being taken over by destructive forces. They share their coping mechanisms, such as turning to wine or focusing on their own personal goals, and offer support to each other in their individual battles with depression and hopelessness. Some also discuss the potential connection between drinking coffee and depression.
Skyhunter said:
When I feel depressed I look out at the world and realize it is so big and I am so insignificant, that being depressed is act of self indulgence.

What makes me so important?

I realize that all I have in life are my thoughts and my actions, those are the only things in life that are truly and uniquely mine. So in the final analysis my only purpose in life is to perfect my thoughts and act accordingly.

Live my life like I believe I should and don't sweat the small stuff. And next to eternity/infinity, everything else is small stuff!
I agree, Skyhunter :blushing: I should remember to look at the stars more often. That does work for me - I just forgot, or maybe I had to allow myself to get really involved and go through the feelings instead of avoiding them. But it's not good to stay in that space for too long.

Physics news on Phys.org
Skyhunter said:
When I feel depressed I look out at the world and realize it is so big and I am so insignificant, that being depressed is act of self indulgence.
Well what usually makes me depressed is that the world is too big and I'm too little to be able to do something for this world. I don't know why people can't be tolerant of each other. Why don't they let each other to live in a way they like? Why do even some of us try to make others happy in a way that don't make them happy?

Alexandra

There sure isn't much happening in the world that is uplifting recently.

Through the years I have found that maintaining ones emotional balance is a lot like riding a bicycle. It is a whole lot easier if you keep moving.

Jump out of that rut girl. You can do it. :rofl: :smile: :rofl:

Last edited:
alexandra said:
You know, though, I haven't seen that many (mostly I've seen dead kangaroos along the side of the road)..
And that's how you repay me, those poor kangaroos.. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Oh well, perhaps I've gotten into the right mood for actually reading this thread now. :frown:

edward said:
There sure isn't much happening in the world that is uplifting recently.

Through the years I have found that maintaining ones emotional balance is a lot like riding a bicycle. It is a whole lot easier if you keep moving.

Jump out of that rut girl. You can do it.
Keep moving - yes, I like this advice too; I don't do enough of that. I think I did allow myself to get into a rut. Oh, how important these online communities are... thanks, edward :smile:

pattylou said:
Pengwuino:glad you aren't depressed. But as far as coffee and depression goes, studies show that the risk of suicide among coffee drinkers is one third less than among non-caffeine drinkers.

Actually coffee and cigarettes are the predominant sources responsible for depression. This is tottaly independent of suicide.

Lisa! said:
Well what usually makes me depressed is that the world is too big and I'm too little to be able to do something for this world.

That's in fact what makes me extremely happy ! Imagine I COULD do something in this world! What a mess I'd make of it. When I look at the mess on my desk, this is an indication :biggrin:

vanesch said:
That's in fact what makes me extremely happy ! Imagine I COULD do something in this world! What a mess I'd make of it. When I look at the mess on my desk, this is an indication :biggrin:
:rofl: Do you really like ants? Are you really working with them?

Lisa! said:
:rofl: Do you really like ants? Are you really working with them?

Yikes !

vanesch said:
Yikes !
Good! I would get angry if you wrote Yikes!!

Lisa! said:
Good! I would get angry if you wrote Yikes!!

Ah, so YOU like ants ?

DM said:
Actually coffee and cigarettes are the predominant sources responsible for depression. This is tottaly independent of suicide.
Can you cite a source for me on that?

Thanks in advance!

pattylou said:
Can you cite a source for me on that?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, I see your point on this. You'd like to see some credibility. The truth is I haven't got any sources to prove my 'claim'. However, two years ago I have had a depression that lasted for a whole year. The first two questions that my psychiatrist asked me was if I drank coffee and if I smoked. Curiously after answering, I sure enough asked why he questioned me on those two sources. As you might guess by now, his answer was that coffee and cigarettes were closely associated with depression cases, alcohol is another consumption source that he indicated that could influence a depression. Just for the record, I did use to drink coffee and smoke. Now whether this may or may not apply on all cases, I truly would not know that. What I do know is that part of my depression was caused by the consumption of coffee and cigarettes.

There are many times I half to turn my back on world news. It becomes over whelming, and makes me feel helpless.
Then I go and do some work with people who are really helpless, and it puts me back into perspective. I quit my moaning :cry: and complaining and get on with life.

How many people here actually lead a bad life? I never watch the news and I never will; all they do is report everything bad that is happening, and everything bad that might happen. They give you the impression that the world is a terrible cesspool full of rapists and natural disasters, a Brother's Grimm world where no one will venture into the woods because of what may lurk.

I agree with Skyhunter that being depressed is self-indulgent for those of us who have it so well. I try to live my life by keeping myself and those around me happy. It seems to me that if everyone did the same, we could collectively achieve far more than any righteous self-sacrificing crusader.

vanesch said:
Ah, so YOU like ants ?
They're better than humans, aren't they? They are very tolerant of each other, always help each other, are very friendly... So why shouldn't I like them? They even kiss each other whenever they meet each other! This one isn't tolerable! :yuck:

loseyourname said:
How many people here actually lead a bad life? I never watch the news and I never will; all they do is report everything bad that is happening, and everything bad that might happen. They give you the impression that the world is a terrible cesspool full of rapists and natural disasters, a Brother's Grimm world where no one will venture into the woods because of what may lurk.

I agree with Skyhunter that being depressed is self-indulgent for those of us who have it so well. I try to live my life by keeping myself and those around me happy. It seems to me that if everyone did the same, we could collectively achieve far more than any righteous self-sacrificing crusader.
I agree loseyourname.

If everyone did just one good deed a day that would be what, 6 billion plus good deeds per day?

And good deeds are contagious, they tend to spread from one person to another, although I know some people who seem to be immune to good deeds. After awhile though the people who are immune don't get much exposure. :wink:

I was talking with a friend today who is starting a new job working for a disability rights advocate group. One of the organizations I volunteer for works closely with the Center for Independent Living, which helps the disabled live independently. o:)

I told her I volunteer for purely selfish reasons... :devil: It makes me feel good. :smile:

pattylou said:
as far as coffee and depression goes, studies show that the risk of suicide among coffee drinkers is one third less than among non-caffeine drinkers.
Yes, caffeine is an anti-depressant, the opposite of alcohol (a depressant), the substance that started this thread.

Alexandra, in case you have a hangover in the AM, first down a Foster, then start the coffee. Experience speaking. :smile: After a protein-rich breakfast and orange juice, write an angry letter to your congressperson. (According to some, depression is repressed anger.)

Last edited:
EnumaElish said:
Yes, caffeine is an anti-depressant, the opposite of alcohol (a depressant), the substance that started this thread.

Alexandra, in case you have a hangover in the AM, first down a Foster, then start the coffee. Experience speaking. :smile: After a protein-rich breakfast and orange juice, write an angry letter to your congressperson. (According to some, depression is repressed anger.)
:rofl: :rofl: Very practical advice, EE - thanks :smile: I think there's something in your final theory about depression being repressed anger. As so many have said, I have no real excuse and have been quite self-indulgent to allow myself to fall apart like that. But with all the advice I've been given now, I think I'll be OK. Another piece of 'depression therapy' no-one has yet mentioned is just merely participating in online discussions like this. For a few weeks there, I stopped communicating. This turned out to be a bad idea. But nevertheless, as well as staying in touch with the wider world (eg. through these discussions), next time I'm feeling queezy I'll try the Foster-first-coffee-second solution too :wink:

alexandra said:
Hello all

Well, for the past few weeks I have been getting well and truly sloshed. Red wine. I just can't stand it any more - and was just interested in finding out if anyone else feels like there seems to be very little hope left. The 'right' seems to have won, hands-down. Fukuyama ('The End of History') seems to be correct. Humanity has lost. Oh, well. Drink wine while the nukes haven't fallen yet:-) No, seriously - I give up. Let Bush and company do their thing. There are enough uncritical followers in the world for them to destroy it without qualms now. Good luck, world:-) I no longer care...
Its good that you realized some of your errors before realizing the ideology had "lost", because I'm sure that helped soften the blow, but you haven't finished the line of reasoning yet (things like making the logical leap from the fact that Marx's predictions on capitalism and poverty were wrong to the more generalized conclusion that Marx's ideology itself was wrong). But I really do think you'll get it.

I honestly wish you luck in coming to terms with this ideological upheaval.

loseyourname said:
You may want to involve yourself in a few life pursuits that don't require the agreement of majority sectors of the world population in order that you may succeed. Plant a garden, have a family, write a book. Do the things that have been making humans happy for thousands of years. If you want to believe the world will end, so be it, but just remember that people have believed that since the species came into existence, and we're still here.
Also good advice. Putting the weight of the world on your shoulders is simply a burden that no one can handle.

And it may be depressing in and of itself, but at some point you're going to have to come to the realization that you, alone, can't change the world. IIRC, you're in college, which is about the time most people get smacked by this very realization. After that, you'll learn to be happy just by having a positive impact on your little kingdom.

Last edited:
russ_watters said:
Its good that you realized some of your errors before realizing the ideology had "lost", because I'm sure that helped soften the blow, but you haven't finished the line of reasoning yet (things like making the logical leap from the fact that Marx's predictions on capitalism and poverty were wrong to the more generalized conclusion that Marx's ideology itself was wrong). But I really do think you'll get it.

I honestly wish you luck in coming to terms with this ideological upheaval.
Awww, come on Russ! Nah, I don't think Marx's analysis of the way capitalism *is* has in any way been disproven. And he always said clearly that things would only change if the working class could somehow organise themselves politically as a class. Well, they haven't managed to do this. Capitalism's apparent 'win' (if indeed it is a win, though - I am nobody living in a remote corner of the world and don't know anything about what's really happening in major cities etc) is exactly humanity's loss. That is what depresses me. If profit wins over people's wellbeing, over the environment, over life itself (and yes - I concede that it has done so far) then this is not a reason for feeling triumphant (not IMHO, in any case). But you know, Russ, it is sooo good to be talking to you lot again. I'm even enjoying this argument with you :smile:

russ_watters said:
Also good advice. Putting the weight of the world on your shoulders is simply a burden that no one can handle.

And it may be depressing in and of itself, but at some point you're going to have to come to the realization that you, alone, can't change the world. IIRC, you're in college, which is about the time most people get smacked by this very realization. After that, you'll learn to be happy just by having a positive impact on your little kingdom.
True - I need to set more realistic goals. I didn't ever feel like I could change the world though; just that I could analyse and discuss the need for change. Unfortunately, Russ, I'm not in college - I'm one of those people who never outgrew their 'early idealism': I am still quite taken with the ideas of justice, human/social progress, etc. and want us (as a species) to work towards achieving these things. Crazy, huh? I just *can't* seem to 'grow up'!

alexandra said:
I didn't ever feel like I could change the world though...
Well, whether its thinking you can change the world or hoping the world can change for you, the impact on your emotional health is the same. Either way, you're coming to realize that the world is not what you want it to be and probably never will be. That's tough to accept. All you can really do is be what you want to be and let that be enough.

alexandra said:
Well, for the past few weeks I have been getting well and truly sloshed. Red wine. I just can't stand it any more - and was just interested in finding out if anyone else feels like there seems to be very little hope left. The 'right' seems to have won, hands-down. Fukuyama ('The End of History') seems to be correct. Humanity has lost. Oh, well. Drink wine while the nukes haven't fallen yet:-) No, seriously - I give up. Let Bush and company do their thing. There are enough uncritical followers in the world for them to destroy it without qualms now. Good luck, world:-) I no longer care...

I was pretty pissed off the day after both of the last two elections, but really, life will go on. The world is not going to end (in your lifetime) and times will change. Besides, look on the bright side -- both of our options for the next election will probably be better than what we have now. :biggrin: