Overcoming Depression to Excel in Physics

In summary, the speaker is struggling with their performance in physics and is frustrated by the belief that they are not cut out for it. They express their capability through scoring well on the GRE math and question why so many people are told to give up on their degree programs. The speaker also mentions their struggle with suicidal thoughts and urges seeking professional help.
brigadoon12
I hate that I am not doing well in physics... I can't stop having suicidal thoughts and I hate it... All I want is to do well in physics and I can't for some reason.

I refus to ****ing believe "you're just not cut out for it"... No... Thats not the case... No one is ever just not cut out for it. I scored a 740 on the GRE math... I know I'm capable. There is nothing special about anyone else that I am not capable of...

Why do so many ****in people quit their degree programs because they are told they aren't cut out for it? Why do we support this. There is nothing wrong with these ****in kids and yet so many people say... "oh maybe its not for you"... **** off... I hate that mindset...

If you can't tell I can't I'm struggling with this horribly.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is not an issue we can deal with in an anonymous internet forum. If you are having suicidal thoughts, I strongly recommend that you get an appointment with a professional psychiatrist as soon as possible.

Likes Amrator, CalcNerd and Andreol263

1. What is the relationship between depression and success in physics?

Depression can have a significant impact on a person's ability to excel in physics. It can affect motivation, concentration, and overall mental well-being, which are all important factors in academic success. However, it is possible to overcome depression and still thrive in the field of physics.

2. Can someone with depression still pursue a career in physics?

Yes, absolutely. Having depression does not mean that one cannot pursue a career in physics. It may require some extra effort and support, but with proper management and treatment, it is possible to excel in this field.

3. How can someone overcome depression to excel in physics?

Overcoming depression to excel in physics may require a combination of strategies, including seeking professional help, establishing a support network, practicing self-care, and finding ways to manage stress and anxiety. It may also be helpful to set realistic goals and prioritize tasks to avoid feeling overwhelmed.

4. Are there any famous physicists who have struggled with depression?

Yes, there are many well-known physicists who have struggled with depression, including Nobel Prize winners such as Brian Schmidt and Peter Higgs. It is important to remember that even highly successful individuals can struggle with mental health issues.

5. Are there any resources available for students with depression in the field of physics?

Yes, there are many resources available for students with depression in the field of physics. Universities often have counseling services and support groups specifically for students. There are also online resources and communities, such as the Science and Depression subreddit, where students can find support and connect with others who may be going through similar experiences.