Is a Lack of Passion and Patience Linked to Depression in Achieving Success?

In summary, it seems that there may be a statistically significant higher occurrence of depression among people who study the Sciences. However, it is reassuring to know that there are people who are passionate about their work and have a lot of intellectual abilities.
dipole
That's somewhat depressing...

Physics news on Phys.org
LOL. It seems a bot was created that found any thread going back years that contained the word was tagged "depression". Most of the threads are scientific. Like measuring a depression in a substance. Not mental depression.

Last edited:
Well that's reassuring. However, I would not be surprised of there was a statistically significant higher occurrence of depression among people who study the Sciences. I think that it's fair to say having the intellectual abilities to do science at a high level (graduate degree and beyond) puts you in a fairly small group of people compared with the rest of society. Perhaps there's a certain kind of loneliness that comes with that.

I know of some great Physicists who at times in (or throughout) their life suffered serious depression.

dipole said:
Well that's reassuring. However, I would not be surprised of there was a statistically significant higher occurrence of depression among people who study the Sciences.

It's not easy to get data for this but in the US data suggests that sciences have the lowest rates of depression whilst personal care (i.e. nurses) have the highest:

Depression among adults employed full-time, by occupational category
http://www.samhsa.gov/data/2k7/depression/occupation.htm

Ryan_m_b said:
It's not easy to get data for this but in the US data suggests that sciences have the lowest rates of depression whilst personal care (i.e. nurses) have the highest:

For scientists active in (full-time) research I would expect the rate to be low.
Even though at times a scientist might lose interest, I'd guess they find a new interesting idea/approach to something and be 'rejuvenated'.
I believe it is a passion rather than a job for most if not all scientists. (maybe a tad optimistic)
At least that's what happens for me (not professionally active, a mere student).

In personal care you get a lot of bad/tough situations, I suppose this would impact them. Mostly since (some) empathy is an essential part of the job even though they should leave that stuff at work, in a perfect world.

That's just a quick breakdown of how I would motivate such statistics.

Purely anecdotally, I have noticed from keeping up with current events over a period of 50+ years that depression seems MUCH more common in artists (painters, musicians, etc) than in scientists.

Likes Medicol
My life would never be the same if I was working one job.
All the jobs I would want to do were like special ecstasies that got me excited all the time. I never felt depressed.
But the downside was I had to lose a great deal of my grey matter. I hope I would be remembered by some people, I don't need many.

I personally don't see the passion side to science much. Most of the professors I've worked with are driven by competition, pressure to get funding and the desire to maximize their publication/citation count. I guess that's a passion in its self, but not the kind I think some of you refer to. Although they seem to be happy people.

I don't know if it is best to stay passionless to be happy, but I feel happy myself. I don't have big goals to do big businesses, which as people might say is why I may get lost. And I don't have patience, which they also claim as the main factor to measure one's endurance to success. I think twice about what I really want to do in life and realize I actually have no fixed plans in mind and how awkward I feel about myself after I have to lie to people about my imaginary goals every time they ask me for my future intention. You know, I am kind of sincere. At least I think so about myself.
I don't know how sad I will become if I will not be able to make any success during the rest of my life from now on but I can be pretty sure I don't want to get depressed by losses of anyone or anything I love.

What is depression?

Depression is a mental health disorder characterized by feelings of sadness, hopelessness, and disinterest in activities that were once enjoyable. It can also cause physical symptoms such as changes in sleep and appetite.

Why is depression a trending tag?

Depression has become a trending tag due to increasing awareness and discussions about mental health. Many people are sharing their own experiences with depression in order to reduce stigma and encourage others to seek help.

What are some common symptoms of depression?

Some common symptoms of depression include persistent feelings of sadness, loss of interest in activities, changes in appetite and sleep patterns, fatigue, difficulty concentrating, and thoughts of self-harm or suicide.

How is depression treated?

Treatment for depression typically involves a combination of therapy, medication, and lifestyle changes. Therapy can help individuals identify and address underlying issues, while medication can help balance brain chemicals that affect mood. Lifestyle changes such as regular exercise and a healthy diet can also have a positive impact on depression.

Can depression be prevented?

While there is no guaranteed way to prevent depression, there are steps individuals can take to reduce their risk. These include maintaining a healthy lifestyle, seeking support from friends and family, and addressing any underlying mental health issues or stressors before they become overwhelming.