Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Depressurization in space

1. Jan 5, 2015 #1
    My first question : lets suppose that a centimeter meteor penetrated the hull of ISS.
    Roughly, how much time depressurization would take?

Second, if a small meteor penetrates the spacesuit of an astronaut and wound him in space (with a small puncture like wound), any estimation how much time till he bleeds out? Would that intense blood sprinkle damage the organs as well?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2015 #2

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

ISS is 916 m^3 at 1 atm. At what pressure is 'depressurization'? The hole geometry is the next most influential parameter. With a small enough wound, there is no need for him to bleed out at all.

4. Jan 5, 2015 #3
    "At what pressure is 'depressurization'? "

Lower than the Armstrong limit 6.3 kPa.

"The hole geometry is the next most influential parameter. " I thought about a really nasty situation of an eye damage.
    So a wound with a similar diameter as the eye.

5. Jan 5, 2015 #4

OCR

6. Jan 5, 2015 #5
    "human skin is tough enough to withstand the drop of one atmosphere"

Yes, but is there any info, or estimation, what happens if the skin is also damaged? Inner pressure will quickly pump the blood out of the body, is it simple intense bleeding, or somewhat worse (hydrodinamic damages etc)?

7. Jan 8, 2015 #6
    Can i reasonably expect, that depressurization take a few minutes?
    (As pressure falls, less and less force push the air out, i guess it would be some kind of integration.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook