What is the Depth of the Potential Well for an Odd Bound State Solution?

In summary, the odd bound state solution to the potential well problem for a particle with a mass of 940 MeV and a binding energy of -2.9 MeV has a potential depth of 18.26 MeV. This was found by plotting the left and right hand side equations and finding the intersection, which represents the minimum depth that gives one odd bound state. This interpretation is based on considering the binding energy as the energy of the lowest odd state.
Dextrine

Homework Statement

The odd bound state solution to the potential well problem bears many similarities to the zero angular momentum solution to the 3D spherical potential well. Assume the range of the potential is 2.3 × 10^−13 cm, the binding energy is -2.9 MeV, and the mass of the particle is 940 MeV. Find the depth of the potential in MeV. (The equation to solve is transcendental.)

Homework Equations

$$\sqrt{\frac{-E}{E+V0}}=-Cot[\sqrt{\frac{2m(E+V0)}{hbar^2}}a]$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried plotting the left and right hand side equations as functions of V0 and found where they intersected. This of course led to infinitely many solutions. The question doesn't ask for the minimum depth of the potential so I'm assuming I am going about this the wrong way.

My minimum depth came out to around 18.5 MeV[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there,

I followed your calculations, ended up with 18.26 MeV.
This is the lowest value of V0 that gives one odd bound state.
If we interpret the binding energy (ionization energy) as the energy of the lowest odd state, then that way the solution is unique.

[edit] strange errors and a double posting ?? sorry

1. What is the depth of a potential well?

The depth of a potential well refers to the energy difference between the bottom of the well and the surrounding energy level. It represents the amount of energy required to remove a particle from the well.

2. How is the depth of a potential well determined?

The depth of a potential well is determined by the shape and strength of the potential energy barrier surrounding it. It can be calculated using mathematical equations or measured experimentally.

3. What is the significance of the depth of a potential well?

The depth of a potential well is significant because it affects the behavior and stability of particles within the well. A deeper well can trap particles more securely, while a shallower well allows for easier movement of particles.

4. How does the depth of a potential well relate to quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the depth of a potential well plays a crucial role in determining the allowed energy levels and the behavior of particles within the well. It can also affect the probability of tunneling and the shape of wavefunctions.

5. Can the depth of a potential well be changed?

Yes, the depth of a potential well can be altered by changing the shape of the potential barrier or by applying external forces to the system. This can be done in experiments to study the effects of different depths on particle behavior.