1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deriatives problem

1. Sep 17, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

find y=d/dx(e^x.e^x^2.e^x^3.................e^x^n) at 0<=x<=1
    at x=0.5
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

so y=e^(x+x2+x3....xn)
    1-i tried taking natural log on both sides ,thn differentiate.
    it does not help..neither does using the d/dx(uv) help....both gives
    y= e(summation of i=1 to n of x^r).(1+2x+3x^2.....nx^(n-1) )
    = e^(x(x^n-1)/x-1).summation of nx^(n-1).
    i cant simplify thies any further.and it looks horrible when x=0.5

and does not give me the slightest feeling that its the correct solution.. the answer is (4e)..but i have been told to try till i reach the solution!!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2009 #2
    and the answer also asks for a condtion.

4. Sep 17, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't see why writing it as [itex]y= e^{x+x^2+x^2+\cdot\cdot\cdot+x^n}[/itex] wouldn't work. The derivative of that is, of course, [itex](1+ 2x+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ nx^{n-1})e^{x+x^2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ x^n}[/itex] and that is to be evaluated at x= 1/2.

[itex]x+ x^2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ x^n[/itex] is a geometric series except that it is missing the initial "1". Its sum is given by [itex](1- x^{n+1})/(1- x)[/itex]. And the derivative, term by term is just the derivative of that: [itex]1+ 2x+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ nx^{n-1}}= [(n+1)x^n(1- x)+(1- x^{n+1})]/(1- x)^2[/itex]. Both can be evaluated at x= 1/2.

The only difficulty appears to be that the result should be 4e for all n. It certainly is not. For example when n= 1, this is just [itex]e^x[/itex] which has derivative [itex]e^x[/itex]- evaluated at x= 1/2 that is [itex]e^{1/2}[/itex]. For n= 2, this is [itex]e^{x+x^2}[/itex] and its derivative is [itex](1+2x)e^{x+x^2}[/itex] which is [itex]2e^{3/4}[/itex] when x= 1/2.

Are you sure you have stated the problem correctly? Is it not, "find the limit, as n goes to infinity, of the derivative of [itex]e^{x+ x^2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ x^n}[/itex]"? That would be, not, 4e, but [itex]4e^2[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook