1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivable function

1. May 2, 2006 #1
    Hey everyone
    I was going through some problems and I came across this one, it said to see if the fuction below is derivable in the point [tex]x_{0}=1^{-}[/tex]

so I did this as usual,
    limit of [tex]\frac{f(x)-f(1)}{x-1}[/tex] when x -> 1, and x<1 is equal to the limit of:

but I really don't know what to do after!! I tried to multiply the top and bottom with "x+2sqrt(1-x)" but with no satisfying results.

Any help would be appreciated!
    Last edited: May 2, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2006 #2

What do you mean by "derivable"?

Obviously, for [tex]x>1[/tex] you get complex solutions, and [tex]f(x)\rightarrow\pm\infty[/tex] as [tex]x\rightarrow0[/tex] (- from left, + from right)...

I wrote it as:

4. May 3, 2006 #3
    Maybe I meant differentiable... sorry!
    what I need to find the limit of is this function [tex]f(x)=\frac{x-1+2\sqrt{1-x}}{(x-1)(1-\sqrt{1-x})}[/tex] as [tex]x\rightarrow1^{-}[/tex]
    Thank you
  5. May 3, 2006 #4

Homework Helper

Wait, can you copy exactly what the problem says please. I dunno, but f(1) is undefined, so the function is not differentiable at x = 1.
  6. May 3, 2006 #5

Why undefined?

Because [tex]\sqrt{0}[/tex]?

As you approach from the left, it tends to 2 tho'...

(and the derivative goes to [tex]\infty[/tex]?)
    Last edited: May 3, 2006
  7. May 3, 2006 #6

Homework Helper

The limit of that expression is easy enough to find. Just substitute [tex]u = \sqrt{1-x}[/tex]

But I don't know what your question is asking, or, frankly, what you're trying to accomplish on the whole. Post the question verbatim, please.
  8. May 3, 2006 #7
    the first one's lim=1 and second one's lim=0
  9. May 3, 2006 #8

Homework Helper

Ack, ack, doing maths late is never good... :cry: :cry: :cry:
    Okay, for mohlam12's question, have you considered factoring the [tex]\sqrt{1 - x}[/tex] out in the numerator?
    [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 1 ^ -} \frac{x - 1 + 2 \sqrt{1 - x}}{(x - 1) (1 - \sqrt{1 - x})} = \lim_{x \rightarrow 1 ^ -} \frac{\sqrt{1 - x} (\sqrt{1 - x} - 2)}{(1 - x) (1 - \sqrt{1 - x})} = ...[/tex]
    You can go from here, right? :)
    Sorry for such confusion... My bad :frown:
  10. May 3, 2006 #9
    Yup, I can go from here, thanks. I just didn't have that idea to factor with [tex]\sqrt{1-x}[/tex]
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?