Is there any other way to solve it?

• Thread starter vilhelm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivation
In summary: Thanks for your help!In summary, the function f(x)=x^k * e^-x, where k>1 and natural, has a min or inflection point depending on the parity of k. This is proven by analyzing the second derivative and finding that it changes sign only when k is odd. Additionally, the second derivative will also be 0 at other points such as x= k +/- √k.
vilhelm

Homework Statement

f(x)=x^k * e^-x
where k>1 and natural.
analyse how the coordinates of max, min and * depends on k.
Proove that your conclusion holds for any natural k, larger than 1.

*I'm not fluent in english, so I don't know the word, but it is what is called in (0,0) on for example the curve x^3 (i.e. the derivative is positive, zero, then positive or neg, zero, neg)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've solved almost everything, except:
why has f(x) an * if k is odd and a min if k is even?

I suspect your "*" represents "inflection point" where the second derivative changes sign- which, of course , can only occur where the second derivative is 0.

The derivative of f is
[tex]f'= kx^{k-1}e^{-x}- x^ke^{-x}= (k- x)x^{k-1}e^{-x}[/tex]
and the second derivative is
[tex]f''= k(k-1)x^{k-2}e^{-x}- 2kx^{k-1}e^{-x}+ x^ke^{-x}= (k(k-1)- 2kx+ x^2)x^{k-2}e^{-k}[/tex]

Now that exponential, [itex]e^{-k}[/itex] is never 0 so the second derivative is 0 only where [itex](x^2- 2kx+ k(k-1))x^{k-2}= ((x- k)^2- k)x^{k-2}= 0[/itex]. Obviously that second derivative is 0 at x= 0 but to determine whether or not it changes sign at x= 0, we have to look at [itex]x^{k-2}[/itex]. If k is even, k-2 is also and [itex]x^{k-2}[/itex] is positive on both sides of x= 0: the second derivative does not change sign so 0 is NOT a inflection point. If k is odd, k- 2 is also and [itex]x^{k-2}[/itex] is positive for x> 0 and negative for x< 0: the second derivative changes sign so 0 is an inflection point.

By the way, the second derivative will also be 0 at [itex]x= k\pm\sqrt{k}[/itex] so there can be other inflection points.

HallsofIvy said:
I suspect your "*" represents "inflection point" where the second derivative changes sign- which, of course , can only occur where the second derivative is 0.

The derivative of f is
[tex]f'= kx^{k-1}e^{-x}- x^ke^{-x}= (k- x)x^{k-1}e^{-x}[/tex]
and the second derivative is
[tex]f''= k(k-1)x^{k-2}e^{-x}- 2kx^{k-1}e^{-x}+ x^ke^{-x}= (k(k-1)- 2kx+ x^2)x^{k-2}e^{-k}[/tex]

Now that exponential, [itex]e^{-k}[/itex] is never 0 so the second derivative is 0 only where [itex](x^2- 2kx+ k(k-1))x^{k-2}= ((x- k)^2- k)x^{k-2}= 0[/itex]. Obviously that second derivative is 0 at x= 0 but to determine whether or not it changes sign at x= 0, we have to look at [itex]x^{k-2}[/itex]. If k is even, k-2 is also and [itex]x^{k-2}[/itex] is positive on both sides of x= 0: the second derivative does not change sign so 0 is NOT a inflection point. If k is odd, k- 2 is also and [itex]x^{k-2}[/itex] is positive for x> 0 and negative for x< 0: the second derivative changes sign so 0 is an inflection point.

By the way, the second derivative will also be 0 at [itex]x= k\pm\sqrt{k}[/itex] so there can be other inflection points.

Thanks! However, I solved it and it looks like we have similar solutions (great).

1. What is derivation?

Derivation is the process of finding the derivative of a function, which represents the rate of change of that function at a specific point.

2. How is derivation used in science?

Derivation is used in many scientific fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics, to analyze and model changes in systems over time. It is also used to calculate important quantities such as velocity, acceleration, and growth rates.

3. What are the extreme values of a function?

The extreme values of a function are the maximum and minimum values that the function can take within a given interval. These values can be found using techniques such as derivation and setting the derivative equal to zero.

4. Can extreme values occur at any point on a function?

Yes, extreme values can occur at any point on a function. However, not all points will necessarily be extreme values. It is important to use derivation and other mathematical tools to determine which points are extreme values.

5. How can derivation help us understand the behavior of a function?

Derivation can help us understand the behavior of a function by providing information about the rate of change of the function at different points. This can help us identify important points such as maximum and minimum values, inflection points, and points of intersection with other functions.