Derivation for curl of a vector

In summary, the conversation is about an equation involving current density and the confusion around how it is true and how taking the curl of J leads to the expression. The conversation references pages 12 and 13 of a document called "The Biot-Savart Law" for further information.
TheCanadian
I have attached the equation that I do not quite understand how is true. This is the current density and was simply used as a part of a proof. But how is this equation true? How does taking the curl of J give you this expression?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-01-31 at 1.48.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-31 at 1.48.08 AM.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 564
Physics news on Phys.org
Likes TheCanadian

1. What is the definition of "curl" in vector calculus?

The curl of a vector field is a mathematical operation that measures the rotation or circulation of a vector field at a given point. It is represented by the symbol ∇ ×, where ∇ is the del operator.

2. How is the curl of a vector calculated?

The curl of a vector can be calculated using the formula: ∇ × F = (∂Fz/∂y - ∂Fy/∂z)i + (∂Fx/∂z - ∂Fz/∂x)j + (∂Fy/∂x - ∂Fx/∂y)k, where F is the vector field and i, j, k are the unit vectors in the x, y, and z directions, respectively.

3. What is the physical significance of the curl of a vector?

The curl of a vector field describes the tendency of a vector field to rotate or circulate around a given point. It can be used to understand fluid flow, electromagnetism, and other physical phenomena.

4. What are some applications of the curl of a vector?

The curl of a vector is used in many fields, including fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and computer graphics. It is used to calculate the forces on objects in a fluid, determine the electric and magnetic fields created by moving charges, and generate realistic 3D images.

5. Can the curl of a vector be negative?

Yes, the curl of a vector can be negative. A negative curl value indicates that the vector field is rotating in the opposite direction of the positive value. This can be visualized as a counterclockwise rotation for positive curl and a clockwise rotation for negative curl.