What could be causing discrepancies in my derived formula for max. LOS range?

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the formula for the line of sight maximum range for a tower with a given height. The speaker attempted to derive the formula themselves but was unsatisfied with the results. They then explain their method, which involves using trigonometry and the radius of the Earth. However, when they tested the formula with problems from the book, their answers were significantly different from the book's values. The other person suggests that the issue may be with the calculator being set to "degrees mode" instead of "radians mode."
Rex Galilae
I went through my Physics textbook where we have a chapter on Communication systems. There's a certain section where they show us the formula for the LOS max. range for a tower with a given height (say h) but I, unsatisfied with it, set out to derive it myself at home and wasn't convinced with the results.
LOS.jpg

First off, I assumed that the max. LOS range can be thought of as the length of the arc subtended by the tower and the point of max range at the center of the Earth. If we draw a line from the top of the tower to the max. range point, it hits the surface of Earth tangentially.
Connect the base of the tower and the max. range point to the center of the Earth and we get a right triangle (since the line is tangential to the surface of Earth). Using trigonometry, we find out that the angle subtended at the center (θ) by these two points (green) can be expressed as cos-1(R/R+h) where R is the Radius of the Earth.
Now that we have the angle, it's easy to calculate the length of the arc (i.e. the distance b/w the tower and the point of max. range) by using this simple formula which is l = R*θ.
This gives us that l = R*cos-1(R/R+h).

(You can use the small angle approximation to refine the formula a bit)
But then, when I used this formula to calculate LOS max. range problems from the book, my answers were a long way off their values. I'm doubting that something is wrong with my first assumption. Pls. help!

Computer science news on Phys.org
Hi Rex:

What you show looks OK to me. Can you post an example of the book's value together with your corresponding calue?

Regards,
Buzz

I bet your calculator is set to "degrees mode" instead of "radians mode".

1. What is the "Derivation for max. LOS range"?

The "Derivation for max. LOS range" is a mathematical calculation used to determine the maximum line-of-sight range between two points.

2. Why is it important to calculate the max. LOS range?

Calculating the max. LOS range is important in a variety of fields, such as telecommunications, military operations, and astronomy, as it helps determine the maximum distance at which two objects can see each other without any obstructions.

3. How is the max. LOS range calculated?

The max. LOS range is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the square of the hypotenuse (longest side) of a right triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.

4. What factors affect the max. LOS range?

The max. LOS range is affected by the height of the objects, the curvature of the Earth, and any obstructions between the two points, such as buildings or mountains. Other factors, such as atmospheric conditions, can also have an impact.

5. Are there any limitations to the "Derivation for max. LOS range"?

While the "Derivation for max. LOS range" provides a good estimate for the maximum line-of-sight distance, it does not take into account other factors such as diffraction, refraction, or signal strength. Therefore, it should be used as a guide and not as an exact measurement.