1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivation of a metric

1. Apr 13, 2010 #1

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that the metric for a 3-sphere embedded in 4-space is:

[tex]ds^2=dr^2+R^2 sin^2(\frac{r}{R})(d\theta^2+sin^2\theta d\phi^2)[/tex]

r is the distance from some "pole" and R is the radius of curvature of the 3-sphere.

My question:

I showed this by using the transformations (as suggested by the professor):

[tex]w=Rcos\chi[/tex]
    [tex]z=Rsin\chi cos\theta[/tex]
    [tex]x=Rsin\chi sin\theta cos\phi[/tex]
    [tex]y=Rsin\chi sin\theta sin\phi[/tex]
    [tex]r=R\chi[/tex]

So, all I did was differentiate w, z, x, and y implicitly using all the product rules so that:

[tex]dw=-Rsin\chi d\chi[/tex]
    [tex]dz=R(cos\chi cos\theta d\chi - sin\chi sin\theta d\theta)[/tex]
    [tex]dx=R(cos\chi sin\theta cos\phi d\chi + sin\chi cos\theta cos\phi d\theta - sin\chi sin\theta sin\phi d\phi)[/tex]
    [tex]dy=R(cos\chi sin\theta sin\phi d\chi + sin\chi cos\theta sin\phi d\theta + sin\chi sin\theta cos\phi d\phi)
    [/tex]

Ok. So, I squared each and set:
    [tex]ds^2=dw^2+dx^2+dy^2+dz^2[/tex]
    After a lot of algebra, Lo, and behold I got exactly what my professor asked for!

I was overjoyed.

And then I got to thinking. Nowhere in my solution have I even invoked any condition that I am working on a 3-sphere. In fact, my metric before the coordinate transform is for flat space!

This leads me to think that all I have done is a coordinate transformation and NOT finding the metric of a 3-sphere. I tried the same method in just 2 dimensions going from Cartesian coordinates to Polar coordinates and I in fact got back the flat-space metric in polar coordinates.

So...my questions is...how the heck did I arrive at the metric for a 3-sphere embedded in 4-space WITHOUT even invoking the condition of a 3-sphere? How did I get to this metric by just doing a coordinate transformation!?

I refuse to believe that I just made a mistake somewhere and MIRACULOUSLY I got the right answer...There must be something I'm missing here.

Please help! Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2010 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Shouldn't the metric of [tex]\mathbb R^4[/tex] expressed in these coordinates contain a dR2 term? The last step is just to throw that term away, like you would throw away the dz2 from dx2+dy2+dz2 to get the metric for [tex]\mathbb R^2[/tex] from the metric for [tex]\mathbb R^3[/tex]. (This isn't the most rigorous argument in the world, but at least in physics books, I think it's standard to just do these things without explanation).

When you latex sin and cos, write them as \sin and \cos. It will look better.

4. Apr 13, 2010 #3

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

lol, thinking this over, I think I get what happened...and it's actually quite obvious.

I assumed R was constant! LOL If I just wanted to do a coordinate transformation, I would have worried about dx/dR, dy/dR, etc terms. Therefore, I restricted myself to a 3-sphere. Also, on the infinitessimal level, the distance in a "straight" line is the same as the distance over a curved surface. Therefore, the derivation is valid.

I see that this is also what Fredrik was saying...but I didn't understand at the time.

I'll keep the latex hint in mind for future reference, thanks. =)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook