Derivation of E=mc2: Examining Einstein's Theory

In summary: Actually, the fact that dx^{mu}/dtau transforms as a four-vector is trivial. So, the non-trivial statement is that four-momentum is conserved.Four-momentum is conserved because the laws of physics are invariant under arbitrary space-time translations. So, the whole matter is trivial.
I_am_learning
I have looked at the Einsteins Derivation of the Relation E=mc2.
http://www.adamauton.com/warp/emc2.html

But I don't if this shorthand derivation is O.k. or not.
like the derivation, I use maxwells law and say the momentum p is given by
p = E / c ---> 1

Now from Newtonian mechanics, we have
p= m* v
or, p=mc (here v=c) --->2

Combining 1 and 2
mc = E / c
therfore, E = mc2

What's wrong here?
If its wrong, why is the result correct?
If its correct, why didn't Einstein use it?

Physics news on Phys.org
thecritic said:
What's wrong here?
If its wrong, why is the result correct?
If its correct, why didn't Einstein use it?

Well, for one, photon mass is zero!

Einstein's point was to figure out how much a photon would shift the center of mass of the box and then ask how big a massive object would have to be to have a similar effect.

thecritic said:
But I don't if this shorthand derivation is O.k. or not.
like the derivation, I use maxwells law and say the momentum p is given by
p = E / c ---> 1
Here you're using the formula [tex]E^2=\vec p^2c^2+m^2c^4[/tex] with m=0. Nothing wrong with that.

thecritic said:
Now from Newtonian mechanics, we have
p= m* v
or, p=mc (here v=c) --->2
As Clamtrox mentioned, m=0, so this formula doesn't work. The correct formula for a massive particle (which has [itex]|\vec v|<c[/itex]) is [itex]\vec p=\gamma m \vec v[/itex]. If you square both sides and do a little algebra, you recover the formula I posted above, which actually holds for massless particles too. So instead of p=mc, you have [tex]\vec p^2=E^2/c^2-m^2c^2=E^2/c^2[/tex].

thecritic said:
Combining 1 and 2
mc = E / c
therfore, E = mc2
If you combine 1 and the correct version of 2 (which is actually the same formula as 1), all you get is

[tex]E^2=\frac{E^2}{c^2}c^2[/tex]

which tells you exactly nothing.

See this post for a better derivation.

I question if this can really be rigorously derived. In relativity, mass and rest energy are exactly the same thing, the reason why there is a c^2 is simply because we choose to use inconsistent units for the same physical quantity.

The nontrivial statement is really that (E, p) transforms under Lorentz transformations as a four-vector.

Actually, the fact that dx^{mu}/dtau transforms as a four-vector is trivial. So, the non-trivial statement is that four-momentum is conserved.

Four-momentum is conserved because the laws of physics are invariant under arbitrary space-time translations. So, the whole matter is trivial.

Then, given the fact that the heuristic derivation (that use intuitive concepts from classical mechanics in some ways) looks non-trivial, suggests that the derivation of classical mechanics from relativity is less trivial than is presented in most textbooks.

In classical mechanics, mass is an independent physical quantity from energy, while in relativity mass and (rest) energy are the same thing. A derivation of classical equations like
E_kin = 1/2 m v^2 is then not just a simple matter of doing a Taylor expansion around v = 0.

The non-relativistic limit involves rescaling physical variables in a certain way and then studying the infinite scaling limit. In this limit, the (trivial) relation between mass and energy breaks down (it becomes singular). So, you then have a new independent physical quantity.

Count Iblis said:
I question if this can really be rigorously derived. In relativity, mass and rest energy are exactly the same thing, the reason why there is a c^2 is simply because we choose to use inconsistent units for the same physical quantity.

The nontrivial statement is really that (E, p) transforms under Lorentz transformations as a four-vector.
I agree. It isn't possible to derive [itex]E=mc^2[/itex] without making some assumptions. Some of the details about this didn't become 100% clear to me until I wrote about it the Science Advisor forum (hidden for normal users). I quoted myself from that thread here. (Start reading at "How are you going to...").

Last edited:

1. What is the meaning of E=mc2?

E=mc2 is a famous equation proposed by Albert Einstein in his theory of special relativity. It states that energy (E) is equal to mass (m) multiplied by the speed of light squared (c2).

2. How did Einstein come up with E=mc2?

Einstein derived this equation by combining the principles of special relativity and the law of conservation of energy. He proposed that mass and energy are interchangeable and can be converted into one another.

3. Why is E=mc2 important?

E=mc2 is important because it revolutionized our understanding of the relationship between mass and energy. It also led to the development of nuclear energy and atomic bombs.

4. Can E=mc2 be proven?

While E=mc2 has been confirmed through numerous experiments and observations, it cannot be proven in the traditional sense of scientific proof. However, it has withstood the test of time and is widely accepted as a fundamental principle in physics.

5. How does E=mc2 affect our daily lives?

E=mc2 has had a significant impact on our daily lives through its applications in technology, medicine, and energy production. It also plays a crucial role in our understanding of the universe and the laws of physics.