Derivation of Effective Mass from a Parabola

In summary, you can use the provided equation to fit your data and obtain an effective mass, even though your data is not strictly in terms of k values.
Morberticus
There is some fundamental about effective mass that I am misunderstanding about effective masses.

I understand the relation

[itex]E\left(k\right) = E_0 + \frac{1}{2m^*}k^2[/itex]

But I'm not sure when it's appropriate to fit this to a parabola.

I would have thought the fitting is only done when you have an independent-particle model, and know the energies associated with each k "orbital".

The data I have is a parabola of energies built by systematically adding electrons and calculating the corresponding Hartree-Fock energy.

For example, the minimum of my data is the HF energy of n electrons. The next point is the HF energy of n+1 electrons. The next point is the energy of n+2 electrons. So these points, strictly speaking, aren't energies of k values. I was told I can still fit this data to a parabola and derive an effective mass. The data fits a parabola shape very well, but I am assuming I can't simply use the above equation, as my energies are N-electron energies and no "k number" energies. Or can I?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can someone explain this to me? Thank you. Yes, you can still fit your data to a parabola and derive an effective mass. The equation you provided relates the dispersion (energy vs. momentum) relation of a single-particle system, which is usually used to describe the motion of electrons in a crystal lattice. This equation can be used to model the behavior of electrons in a many-body system, such as the one you are describing, by fitting the energy values for different electron numbers to a parabolic form. By doing this, you will obtain an effective mass, which is a measure of how the energy of the system changes with electron number.

1. What is the concept of "effective mass" in relation to a parabola?

The effective mass of a particle in a parabolic band structure is a measure of how the particle behaves as if it has a certain mass in a vacuum, even though its actual mass may be different due to interactions with the surrounding environment.

2. How is the effective mass derived from a parabola?

The effective mass can be derived from the curvature of the parabola at a specific energy level, using the effective mass approximation formula: m* = ħ^2 / (d^2E/dk^2), where m* is the effective mass, ħ is the reduced Planck's constant, and d^2E/dk^2 is the second derivative of the energy with respect to the wave vector k.

3. What is the significance of effective mass in semiconductor materials?

In semiconductor materials, the effective mass plays a crucial role in determining the electrical and optical properties of the material, such as mobility, conductivity, and bandgap. It also affects the behavior of charge carriers in the material, which is important for understanding and designing electronic devices.

4. Can effective mass be negative?

Yes, the effective mass can be negative in certain cases, such as in the presence of an external magnetic field. This is known as the negative effective mass phenomenon and is observed in some materials, like graphene, where the charge carriers behave as if they have a negative mass due to their unique band structure.

5. How is the effective mass related to the density of states in a material?

The effective mass is directly related to the density of states in a material. In fact, the density of states at a particular energy level is proportional to 1/m*, where m* is the effective mass at that energy level. This relationship is important for understanding the electronic properties of materials and their behavior in different conditions.