Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivation of Enthaply of reaction as function of equilibrium constant

1. Feb 6, 2010 #1
    Can someone help me and tell me where does the equation of enthalpy as function of reduced Gibbs energy and equilibrium constant (patial pressure) come from? From which thermodynamic law does it come?
    For an equation aA+bB=cC+dD
    where A,B,C and D are molecules in a reaction balanced by stochiometric coefficients a,b,c and d.
    The equation of enthalpy of rection is given as

[tex]\Delta_{rxn}[/tex][tex]H^{o}[/tex]=T[[tex]\Delta_{rxn}[/tex][tex]\Phi^{o}[/tex] - Rln([tex]K_{p}[/tex])] ... (1)

where T is teh temperature, R the ideal gas constant, [tex]K_{p}[/tex] is the equilibrium constant and [tex]\Delta_{r}[/tex][tex]\Phi^{o}[/tex] is the reduced Gibbs free energy and is given by

[tex]\Delta_{rxn}[/tex][tex]\Phi^{o}[/tex]= {a[tex]\Phi^{o}[/tex](C)+d[tex]\Phi^{o}[/tex](D)-[a[tex]\Phi^{o}[/tex](A)+b[tex]\Phi^{o}[/tex](B)]}.

Can someone tell me where equation come from? please

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted