1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivation of formula - electrons in an electric field

1. Jun 28, 2005 #1
    I need to derive the following formula, in relation to the angle between the electron beam and the plates where the beam of electrons hits the plates in a Teltron tube:

[tex]tan \theta = \frac{Eqs_{h}}{mv_{h} ^2}[/tex]

I think I managed to complete about 70% of this, but I need to found out what it is in its entirety!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2005 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think we need more information here. Define the variables. Are there both electric and magnetic fields involved in this? Is this something like what you have?

http://www.telatomic.com/ttubes4.html

4. Jun 28, 2005 #3
    yeah, that is pretty much the teltron tube i'm referring to. This is only an electric field.

in the eqn:
    - theta = the angle between the plates (where the stream of electrons hits) and the electron gun (see attached pic)
    - E = size of the electric field between the plates
    - q = charge of the electron
    - s = the horizontal (x) displacement between the electron gun and where the electron stream hits the plates.
    - m = mass of the electron
    - v = horizontal velocity of the electrons in the electron stream

Attached Files:

5. Jun 29, 2005 #4

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Now we can help :smile: Given v and s you can calculate the time of flight, t, through the electric field. From E and q you can calculate the force, F, on the charge. From F and m you can calculate the acceleration, a, toward the positive plate. From a and t you can calculate the velocity component, u, perpendicular to the plate at the moment of impact. [tex] tan \theta [/tex] is the ratio of the two velocity components, u and v.

6. Jun 29, 2005 #5
    Thanks Dan :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?