Derivation of Griffith's Criterion

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of a beam with various parameters and the analysis of crack propagation using Griffith's criterion. The approach involves considering the combination of elastic energy and surface energy, and using assumptions about the potential energy release and stress intensity factor. The derivation suggests that the critical crack length can be determined by setting the derivative of free energy with respect to the crack length equal to 0. The value of ##\pi## in the stress intensity factor comes from the geometry of the assumed crack path.
person123
TL;DR Summary
I am attempting to derive Griffith's Criterion to understand it better. My derivation matches up to a constant which I don't fully understand.
I did my derivation for a beam as shown with Young's Modulus ##E##, width ##w##, crack length ##a##, and surface energy density ##\gamma##.
Griffith.png

I understand that a crack will propagate when the free energy ##G## decreases with increase crack length ##a##. Free energy is the combination of the elastic energy ##U## and surface energy ##S## with the equation $$G=S-U.$$ This means that $$\frac{dS}{da}=\frac{dU}{da}$$ at the moment ##G## starts decreasing. I believe $$S=\gamma w a$$ meaning $$\frac{dS}{da}=\gamma w.$$ I then assumed that the potential energy would be released due to the crack over the triangular region shown in the diagram. ##k## is a constant which I don't know. Based on this, analyzing the elastic energy along one horizontal slice $$dU=\frac{\sigma_f^2}{E}wdA=\frac{\sigma_f^2}{E}wkada$$ $$\frac{dU}{da}=wka\frac{\sigma_f^2}{E}.$$ Equating the two: $$\gamma w=wka\frac{\sigma_f^2}{E}$$ $$\sigma_f^2=\frac{E\gamma}{ka}.$$ If ##k## is defined as ##\frac{\pi}{2}## then my equation matches with Griffith's criterion. However, I don't understand where ##\pi## comes from. Is my approach correct, and if so how would one go about completing this derivation? Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hello,

Your approach seems to be generally correct. The ##k## value in this case is known as the stress intensity factor and it is used to account for the stress concentration at the tip of the crack. The value of ##\pi## comes from the geometry of the triangular region that you have assumed for the potential energy release. This geometry is often used in fracture mechanics analyses and it is based on the assumption that the crack will grow along the path of maximum stress intensity. This path is at an angle of ##\frac{\pi}{2}## to the original crack length, hence the value of ##\pi## in the stress intensity factor.

If you want to complete the derivation, you can use the value of ##\sigma_f## that you have calculated and substitute it into the equation for free energy ##G##. Then, you can differentiate ##G## with respect to ##a## and set it equal to 0 to find the critical crack length at which the free energy starts to decrease. This will give you the critical crack length according to Griffith's criterion.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is Griffith's Criterion?

Griffith's Criterion is a mathematical formula used to predict the conditions under which a material will fracture.

2. Who developed Griffith's Criterion?

Griffith's Criterion was developed by British engineer and physicist Alan Arnold Griffith in 1920.

3. How is Griffith's Criterion derived?

Griffith's Criterion is derived from the concept of energy release rate, which is a measure of the energy required to create a new fracture surface in a material. It is also based on the assumption that cracks in a material will grow when the energy release rate is greater than the material's resistance to fracture.

4. What is the significance of Griffith's Criterion in materials science?

Griffith's Criterion is a fundamental tool used in materials science to understand and predict the behavior of materials under stress. It has been used to design materials with desired properties and to determine the cause of failure in materials.

5. Are there any limitations to Griffith's Criterion?

Yes, there are some limitations to Griffith's Criterion. It assumes that materials have smooth, homogeneous microstructures and that the cracks are small compared to the overall size of the material. It also does not take into account the effects of temperature, loading rate, and other factors that can affect the behavior of materials under stress.