Deriving mgh from Newton's Law: Binomial Expansion

In summary, the conversation discusses deriving the equation E=mgh from Newton's law of gravitation using binomial expansion. There is some confusion about the signs and powers of h/r, but ultimately the correct solution is found by starting with gravitational potential energy and expressing g in terms of G, M, and r.
Faiq

Homework Statement

Derive E=mgh from Newton's law of Gravitation where h is very small. (Use binomial expansion)

2. The attempt at a solution
[tex]E = \frac{GMm}{(r+h)^2}-\frac{GMm}{r^2} [/tex]
[tex]E = \frac{GMm}{r^2}(\frac{1}{(1+\frac{h}{r})^2}-1) [/tex]
[tex]E = \frac{GMm}{r^2}((1+\frac{h}{r})^{-2}-1) [/tex]
[tex]E = \frac{GMm}{r^2}(1+\frac{-2h}{r}-1) [/tex] Other powers of h/r becomes negligible for h<<r
[tex]E = \frac{GMm}{r^2}(\frac{-2h}{r}) [/tex]

Not sure where I went wrong or what to do next
Note:- I know this can be solved in a million other methods but I want the answer specifically from this method. I had a book which used this method and I can't remember how this method works out.

Physics news on Phys.org
The potential in Newtonian gravity is negative. You are taking potential(reference level) - potential(height h) instead of the other way around.

Okay so I will have 2h/r instead of -2h/r. Doesn't solve the problem though

Then what is your problem? It looks fine to me.

Instead of "2h/r", I should get "h" so I can rewrite the answer as mgh

Move 2/r from the h/r term to the term with G and M ...

so 1/r^2 will become 1/r^3.

Faiq said:
[tex]E = \frac{GMm}{(r+h)^2}-\frac{GMm}{r^2} [/tex]
Start with gravitational PE, not force. (What you are calling "E" is force not energy.)

ohhhhhhhhhh

Okay now I am getting GMm/r *h/r

Oh okay done thanks

Doc Al said:
Start with gravitational PE, not force. (What you are calling "E" is force not energy.)
True that. The same basic principle applies though. The entire point is expressing g in terms of G, M and r.

Orodruin said:
The same basic principle applies though. The entire point is expressing g in terms of G, M and r.
Yep.

1. How is Newton's Law related to deriving mgh?

Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation states that the force of gravity between two objects is directly proportional to the mass of the objects and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This law is used to derive the equation mgh, which represents the potential energy of an object at a certain height h above the ground.

2. What is the binomial expansion and how is it used in this context?

The binomial expansion is a mathematical formula that allows for the expansion of expressions in the form of (a + b)^n, where a and b are constants and n is a positive integer. In the context of deriving mgh from Newton's Law, the binomial expansion is used to expand the gravitational force expression and simplify it to mgh.

3. Can you explain the steps involved in deriving mgh?

To derive mgh from Newton's Law, the first step is to set up the equation for gravitational force (F = GmM/r^2) and substitute the mass and distance into the equation. Next, the binomial expansion is used to simplify the equation and eliminate terms that are considered negligible. Finally, rearranging the equation will yield mgh as the final expression.

4. What are the limitations of using this method to derive mgh?

This method assumes a constant gravitational field, which is not always the case. Additionally, it does not take into account other factors such as air resistance, which can affect the potential energy of an object. It also assumes that the height h is relatively small compared to the radius of the Earth.

5. How is this derivation useful in the field of physics?

Deriving mgh from Newton's Law allows us to understand the relationship between the potential energy of an object and its height above the ground. It is a fundamental concept in physics and is used to solve various problems related to potential energy and gravity, such as calculating the work done on an object or determining the minimum amount of energy required for an object to reach a certain height.