Derivation of normal and tangential forces of a rotor electric motor drives

In summary, the tangential and normal forces of the rotor can be derived using the formula F = I*L*Bsin(theta) and the angle between the force vector and the perpendicular to the rotor. If you need further clarification, please feel free to ask for feedback on this matter.
trinupab
Hi all,

I'm currently undergoing a masters of science course in Mechatronics Engineering. One of my core modules is Electrical Components. I'm stuck in understanding one of the key parts in this module. I've been asked to derive the Tangential and Normal forces of the rotor shown below.
I've been going through the notes and all i know is Force = I*L*Bsin(teta). Aside from that i find no connection in u0 (miu not)

e50b4147.jpg

I would highly appreciate any feedback in this matter. I'm still new to this forum so i apologize for any mistakes caused.

Jay

Physics news on Phys.org
.The tangential and normal forces can be calculated using the formula F = I*L*Bsin(theta) where I is the current, L is the length of the rotor, B is the magnetic field strength, and theta is the angle between the force vector and the magnetic field vector. The tangential force is the component of the force that is parallel to the rotor, and the normal force is the component of the force perpendicular to the rotor. To calculate the tangential force, use the equation Ft = I*L*Bsin(theta0) where theta0 is the angle between the force vector and the perpendicular to the rotor. To calculate the normal force, use the equation Fn = I*L*Bcos(theta0).

1. What is the purpose of deriving normal and tangential forces in rotor electric motor drives?

The purpose of deriving normal and tangential forces in rotor electric motor drives is to understand the forces acting on the rotor, which is the rotating component of the motor. This information is crucial for designing and optimizing the motor's performance.

2. How are normal and tangential forces calculated in a rotor electric motor?

Normal and tangential forces can be calculated using mathematical equations that take into account the motor's torque, speed, and other parameters. These equations are derived from the principles of mechanics and electromagnetism.

3. What factors can affect the normal and tangential forces in a rotor electric motor?

The normal and tangential forces in a rotor electric motor can be affected by various factors such as the motor's design, operating conditions, and external forces. Other factors include the number of poles, stator and rotor geometry, and the type of material used for the rotor.

4. How do normal and tangential forces impact the performance of a rotor electric motor?

Normal and tangential forces play a crucial role in determining the motor's torque, speed, and efficiency. The magnitude and direction of these forces can affect the motor's stability, vibration, and noise levels. Therefore, understanding and controlling these forces is essential for optimizing the motor's performance.

5. Are there any practical applications of the derivation of normal and tangential forces in rotor electric motor drives?

Yes, there are many practical applications of the derivation of normal and tangential forces in rotor electric motor drives. This knowledge is used in the design and development of various electric motors used in industries such as automotive, aerospace, and robotics. It also helps in troubleshooting motor issues and improving their performance.