How Is Stoke's Drag Formula Derived Beyond Dimensional Analysis?

In summary, Stoke's drag is a force that acts against the motion of an object through a fluid. It is calculated using the equation FD = 6πμrv, and is affected by factors such as fluid viscosity, object size and shape, and velocity. This type of drag is different from other types such as pressure drag and form drag, and is significant in science and engineering for applications in fluid mechanics, aerodynamics, and oceanography.
ThinkerCorny
I was looking for the derivation of stoke's drag
F=6πηrv
But I'm only getting the derivation by dimensional analysis.
Can anyone please provide it's real derivation?
I'll really appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
ThinkerCorny said:
I was looking for the derivation of stoke's drag
F=6πηrv
But I'm only getting the derivation by dimensional analysis.
Can anyone please provide it's real derivation?
I'll really appreciate it.
You mean e.g. this one ? (I googled 'stokes drag derivation' and this was on top).

1. What is Stoke's drag?

Stoke's drag is a force that opposes the motion of an object through a fluid, such as air or water. It is named after George Gabriel Stokes, who first described this type of drag in 1845.

2. How is Stoke's drag calculated?

Stoke's drag is calculated using the equation FD = 6πμrv, where FD is the drag force, μ is the viscosity of the fluid, r is the radius of the object, and v is the velocity of the object.

3. What factors affect Stoke's drag?

The factors that affect Stoke's drag include the viscosity of the fluid, the size and shape of the object, and the velocity of the object. Other factors such as surface roughness and the presence of other objects in the fluid can also have an impact.

4. How is Stoke's drag different from other types of drag?

Stoke's drag is a type of viscous drag, which is caused by the friction between the fluid and the surface of the object. Other types of drag include pressure drag, which is caused by the difference in pressure between the front and back of an object, and form drag, which is caused by the shape of an object.

5. What is the significance of Stoke's drag in science and engineering?

Stoke's drag is an important concept in the study of fluid mechanics and is used in various applications, such as designing efficient vehicles and predicting the behavior of particles in fluids. Understanding Stoke's drag is also crucial in fields such as aerodynamics, hydrodynamics, and oceanography.