Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivation of stokeslet

1. Nov 28, 2004 #1

KRP

Derivation of "stokeslet"

Ok, so basically I cannot find ANYWHERE the step-by-step derivation of the free-space Green's function for the velocity field generated by a point force in a fluid (the Stokeslet).

I have not for the life of my got a clue why it somehow turns into a tensor along the way...?

help appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2004 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This thread got no love in the Homework Forum. Maybe it will have better luck here in Engineering.

4. Dec 3, 2004 #3
    your journey continues

Hey KRP,

Try these articles. I don't think they have EXACTLY the information you need but might be able to lead you to it - a couple mention other methods, etc.. I tried to upload the pdf's for these but the limit is 50kB. If you're interested in giving them a look, you can try to obtain them from Science Direct OR I can email them to you. I'll try to check back to see what you want to do.

Hope it helps

Uniform asymptotic approximation of the evanescent part of the Green's tensor • SHORT COMMUNICATION
    Optics Communications, Volume 207, Issues 1-6, 15 June 2002, Pages 7-15
    Henk F. Arnoldus and John T. Foley

FLUID–STRUCTURE COUPLING FOR AN UNBAFFLED ELASTIC PANEL IMMERSED IN A DIFFUSE FIELD • ARTICLE
    Journal of Sound and Vibration, Volume 198, Issue 4, 12 December 1996, Pages 485-506
    H. Nelisse, O. Beslin and J. Nicolas

Green's function for gratings: parametric problems • ARTICLE
    Optics Communications, Volume 136, Issues 5-6, 1 April 1997, Pages 349-353
    J. F. Bird

Short-wave asumptotic behaviour of Green's function in the problem of diffraction at a plane layer • ARTICLE
    USSR Computational Mathematics and Mathematical Physics, Volume 13, Issue 3, 1973, Pages 170-186
    S. I. Grinberg, E. N. Semenyaka and I. V. Sukharevskii

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?