Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivation of the Bohr Magneton

1. Oct 3, 2004 #1
    This is a homework problem, and I already turned in the wrong answer (on purpose because I didn't agree with the explanation of why the correct answer was twice mine). I want to know why the answer is what it is. The stated book value is 9.274009 x 10^-24 J/T. I got exactly half that, and I know the equations that the official solution used.

The question is stated thus:
    a) the current i due to a charge q moving in a circle with frequency f_rev is q*f_rev. Find the current due to the electron in the first bohr orbit.

So, what I did was I used the equation h*f=E, where E was the energy of the first orbit in hydrogen, which was 13.6eV. (I know that this is where I made the mistake) I then computed the current that way and got 9.274.../2 as the answer. The book solution manual, which I do not trust because it offers no explanation, used this equation:

f~Z^2*m*k^2*e^4/(2*pi*h_bar^3*n^3) and plugged in the value of n=1 to get the frequency.

however, the above equation is an approximation for large n. The actual equation that the above is derived from is:

Z^2*m*k^2*e^4/(4*pi*h_bar^3) * (2n-1)/(n^2*(n-1)^2)

I know that for large n, this equation approaches the other one they used. However, they plugged in the value of 1 into the approximation, when the real answer would have been undefined (divide by 0)!

I was told by the professor that I could use the equation f=v/(2pi*r), which did not suit me because you end up with the approximation equation above.

What am I confused about here?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2004 #2
    Well, if the book is using the approximation and you are only off by a factor of two my guess is that you are fine. You work seems fine.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?