Deriving Contravariant Form of Levi-Civita Tensor

In summary: This finally gives$$\epsilon^{jkl}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{g}} \epsilon^{jkl}.$$In summary, we can express the covariant form of the Levi-Civita symbol as ##\varepsilon_{i,j,k}:=\sqrt{g}\epsilon_{i,j,k}## and its contravariant form as ##\varepsilon^{i,j,k}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{g}}\epsilon^{i,j,k}##. By defining the totally antisymmetric symbol ##\Delta_{jkl}##, we can use the transformation laws for covariant and contravariant tensor components to show that the covariant and contravariant forms are related
AndersF
TL;DR Summary
If the covariant form for the Levi-Civita is defined as ##\varepsilon_{i,j,k}:=\sqrt{g}\epsilon_{i,j,k}##, how could be shown from this definition that it's contravariant form is given by ##\varepsilon^{i,j,k}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{g}}\epsilon^{i,j,k}##?
The covariant form for the Levi-Civita is defined as ##\varepsilon_{i,j,k}:=\sqrt{g}\epsilon_{i,j,k}##. I want to show from this definition that it's contravariant form is given by ##\varepsilon^{i,j,k}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{g}}\epsilon^{i,j,k}##.My attemptWhat I have tried is to express this tensor ##\varepsilon^{i j k}## through the contraction with the metric tensor of ##\varepsilon_{i j k}## the contravariant form, and then to replace the definition of ##\varepsilon_{i j k}##:##\varepsilon^{i j k}=g^{i p} g^{j q} g^{k r} \varepsilon_{p q r}=g^{i p} g^{j q} g^{k r} \sqrt{g} \epsilon_{p q r}##

This expression reminds me of the the expression of the determinant of the dual metric tensor, ##g^{-1}=\det (g^{ij})##, through the Levi-Civita symbol:

##g^{-1}=g^{1 p} g^{2 q} g^{3 r} \epsilon_{p q r}##

But I'm stuck here, as I don't know how to match these expressions... Would there be any way to achieve this? Would this be a good way to prove the theorem?

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess you talk about a 3D Riemannian manifold here. Then let's define ##\Delta_{jkl}=\Delta^{jkl}## as the totally antisymmetric symbol with ##\Delta_{123}=\Delta^{123}=1##.

Then
$$\epsilon_{jkl}=\sqrt{g} \Delta_{jkl} \quad \text{with} \quad g=\mathrm{det}(g_{\mu \nu})$$
are covariant (pseudo) tensor components.

Indeed, using the transformation law for covariant tensor components you get
$$\epsilon_{abc}'=\sqrt{g} \Delta_{jkl} \frac{\partial q^j}{\partial q^{\prime a}} \frac{\partial q^k}{\partial q^{\prime b}} \frac{\partial q^l}{\partial q^{\prime c}}=\sqrt{g} J \Delta_{abc},$$
where
$$J=\mathrm{det} (\partial_a' q^j)$$
is the Jacobian of the coordinate transformation.

On the other hand
$$g' = \mathrm{det} g_{ab}'=\mathrm{det} (\partial_a' q^j \partial_b' q^k g_{jk})=J^2 g.$$
So if ##J>0##, then indeed
$$\epsilon_{abc}'=\sqrt{g'} \Delta_{abc}.$$
If ##J<0## you get an additional minus sign. That's why ##\epsilon_{jkl}## are the components of a pseudo-tensor rather than a true tensor.

For the contravariant components you get
$$\epsilon^{jkl}=g^{ja} g^{kb} g^{lc} \epsilon_{abc} = \sqrt{g} g^{ja} g^{kb} g^{lc} \Delta_{abc} = \sqrt{g} \mathrm{det}(g^{ab}) \Delta^{jkl}=\frac{1}{g} \sqrt{g} \Delta^{jkl} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{g}} \Delta^{jkl},$$
where I've used that in a Riemannian manifold ##\mathrm{det}(g_{ab})>0##.

Likes AndersF

1. What is the Levi-Civita tensor?

The Levi-Civita tensor, also known as the permutation tensor, is a mathematical object used in vector calculus and differential geometry to represent the cross product in three-dimensional space. It is a rank-3 tensor with components that are equal to 1, -1, or 0 depending on the order of its indices.

2. What does it mean to derive the contravariant form of the Levi-Civita tensor?

Deriving the contravariant form of the Levi-Civita tensor involves transforming the components of the tensor from their original form to a new form that is more useful for certain mathematical operations. This transformation is achieved by using the metric tensor, which is a symmetric, rank-2 tensor that defines the inner product between vectors in a given coordinate system.

3. What is the significance of the contravariant form of the Levi-Civita tensor?

The contravariant form of the Levi-Civita tensor is important because it allows for easier manipulation and calculation of vector operations in curved coordinate systems. It also plays a crucial role in the formulation of physical laws in general relativity and other branches of physics that involve curved spacetime.

4. How is the contravariant form of the Levi-Civita tensor derived?

The contravariant form of the Levi-Civita tensor can be derived by using the properties of the metric tensor and the permutation properties of the Levi-Civita symbol. This involves raising and lowering indices using the metric tensor and applying the permutation properties to obtain the new form of the tensor.

5. What are some real-world applications of the contravariant form of the Levi-Civita tensor?

The contravariant form of the Levi-Civita tensor is used in various fields of physics, such as general relativity, electromagnetism, and fluid dynamics. It is also used in engineering and computer graphics for calculations involving rotations and transformations in three-dimensional space. Additionally, it has applications in computer vision and image processing for edge detection and feature extraction.