1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivation of this equation:

1. Nov 14, 2012 #1
    Equation attached.

For those who cant see the image here it is in text form, k=(Gd^4)/(8D^3 n )

It is the equation for the stiffness of a spring in terms of its dimensions:

G - shear constant
    d - wire diameter
    D - coil average diameter
    n - number of active coils (total coils -2 as the top and bottom coils are not considered active)

I would like to know how to derive this equation as it is a big chunk of my project,

I am doing this as part of a university project, and your derivation will be duly noted/referenced.

Thanks in advance!

Anthony

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2012 #2
    Since you are at university, why can you not look this up for yourself in a mechanics of materials text in the library?

For instance page 82 - 83 of

Singer

Strength of Materials

or

Hearn

Mechanics of Materials p299 to 301

4. Nov 14, 2012 #3
    I'll do that now, thank you for the book!

5. Nov 14, 2012 #4
  6. Nov 14, 2012 #5
    yeah! i found that post very helpful for understanding the concept, jheez, i love this stuff, i wish i could have the time in the day to learn it all, along with everything else i want to do :( anyway! thank you very much! best first post ever i think!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook