Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivation of this equation:

1. Nov 14, 2012 #1
    Equation attached.

For those who cant see the image here it is in text form, k=(Gd^4)/(8D^3 n )

It is the equation for the stiffness of a spring in terms of its dimensions:

G - shear constant
    d - wire diameter
    D - coil average diameter
    n - number of active coils (total coils -2 as the top and bottom coils are not considered active)

I would like to know how to derive this equation as it is a big chunk of my project,

I am doing this as part of a university project, and your derivation will be duly noted/referenced.

Thanks in advance!

Anthony

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2012 #2
    Since you are at university, why can you not look this up for yourself in a mechanics of materials text in the library?

For instance page 82 - 83 of

Singer

Strength of Materials

or

Hearn

Mechanics of Materials p299 to 301

4. Nov 14, 2012 #3
    I'll do that now, thank you for the book!

5. Nov 14, 2012 #4
  6. Nov 14, 2012 #5
    yeah! i found that post very helpful for understanding the concept, jheez, i love this stuff, i wish i could have the time in the day to learn it all, along with everything else i want to do :( anyway! thank you very much! best first post ever i think!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook