1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivation Related to Paths

1. Dec 8, 2008 #1
    I am trying to derivate the equation T(t) = c'(t)/||c'(t)||

||c'(t)|| being the norm of c'(t). ||T(t)||= 1 and I need to solve for T'(t)

I keep getting stuck with some nasty terms. I assume that I need to deal with the norm as the square root of the dot product of c'(t) with itself.

Any help would be much appreciated. I have a feeling there is a simpler way to solve this than the way I have been trying.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi MichaelT! :smile:

I don't understand what you're trying to do. :confused:

If c(t) is a curve, then c'(t)/||c'(t)|| is the unit vector tangent to the curve … what is the problem?

4. Dec 8, 2008 #3
    So T(t) = c'(t)/||c'(t)||. We are asked to find a formula for T'(t) in terms of c.

Sorry, looking back at my original post I realize I was not so clear.

Thank you!:smile:

5. Dec 9, 2008 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi MichaelT! Thanks for your PM. :smile:

As you said:
    So let's write it out in full …

||c'(t)|| = √(c'(t).c'(t)) …

use the product rule (it works for vectors just as it does for scalars) to differentiate the inside of the √, and then use the chain rule to differentiate the whole thing. :smile:

(btw … no such word as "derivate" … and "derviation" would be completely different from "differentiation" :wink:)

6. Dec 10, 2008 #5
    Ok, I think I have another way to approach the problem. From subsequent problems I have learned that T'(t) = c"(t)

Therefore, if I can prove that T(t) = c'(t), then I am set. Can you give me any direction on doing that? I've tried with no luck, though I do know it is true!

7. Dec 10, 2008 #6
    Oh wait, I was wrong about something. T(t) will only equal c'(t) if it is parametrized by the arc length.

This is what I got, if anyone cares to check (please do!)

T'(t) = [||c'(t)||(c"(t)) - c'(t)(c'(t) dot c"(t))]/||c'(t)||3

8. Dec 10, 2008 #7

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi MichaelT! :smile:

Aren't you missing a ||c'(t)|| at the beginning?

9. Dec 10, 2008 #8
    yeah it looks like I did miss something! Does it look like I am approaching this the right way?

Just re-did the problem, and this is what I got

T'(t) = (c"(t)/||c't||) - [c'(t)/||c'(t)||3] (c'(t) dot c"(t))

10. Dec 11, 2008 #9

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, that is the right way, and the right result this time! :biggrin:

btw, in your previous single-fraction answer, which should have been

T'(t) = [c"(t)(c'(t) dot c'(t)) - c'(t)(c'(t) dot c"(t))]/||c'(t)||3

the numerator is in the form A(B.C) + B(A.C), so you could (probably not very usefully :rolleyes:) write it as … ? :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?