How Can I Find the Derivatives of this Complex Function Using Derivation Rules?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the first and second order derivatives of a given function using differentiation and derivation techniques, specifically the Product and Quotient Rules. The suggestion to cross multiply and use the product rule is mentioned, but the user is reminded to use the correct terminology and to expand the function before differentiating.
efekwulsemmay

Homework Statement

I am supposed to find the first and second order derivative of
[tex]p=\left(\frac{q^{2}+3}{12q}\right)\left(\frac{q^{4}-1}{q^{3}}\right)[/tex]

Homework Equations

Derivation Sum and Difference as well as Product and Quotient Rules

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to cross multiply and use the product rule on the resulting equation but its wrong.
I am not sure what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
Show us what you've tried so far and then we can help you out.

Cross multiplication is for when a Fraction = a Fraction. When you multiplied them did you get... (x^2+3)(x^4-1) / 12x^2. Then take the quotient rule of the entire function and don't forget to use the product rule where necessary for the numerator. It'll start to look ugly, but such is calculus sometimes.

I am only a member and I just joined today, but I hope this helps a bit. :|

Ugh. First thing is it's called "differentiation" the process of obtaining the derivative. Derivations are from solving proofs.

Luongo said:
Ugh. First thing is it's called "differentiation" the process of obtaining the derivative. Derivations are from solving proofs.

Differentiation and derivation can both be used. Take for example a derivation algebra. Proofs are not solved they may be found, constructed, studied, verified, or repaired, but not solved.

One could see this by use of Derivation Sum and Difference as well as Product and Quotient Rules, but expanding the function may be prefered.
[(q^2+3)/(12q)][(q^4-1)/(q^3)]=(q^2+3-q^-2-3q^-4)/12

Last edited:

What is a derivation rule?

A derivation rule is a logical statement or formula that is used to generate new logical statements from existing ones. It is used in formal systems such as mathematics, logic, and computer programming to prove the validity of a statement.

How are derivation rules used?

Derivation rules are used to derive new statements from existing ones in a systematic and logical way. They are often used in mathematical proofs to show the logical steps taken to arrive at a conclusion.

What are the different types of derivation rules?

There are several types of derivation rules, including modus ponens, modus tollens, disjunctive syllogism, and transitive property. Each type of rule serves a specific purpose and helps to build a logical argument or proof.

What are the common challenges with derivation rules?

One common challenge with derivation rules is ensuring that the rules are applied correctly and consistently. This requires a thorough understanding of the rules and their proper usage. Another challenge is determining which rules to use in a given situation, as there may be multiple options.

How can one improve their understanding of derivation rules?

To improve understanding of derivation rules, it is important to practice using them and to study examples of their application. It may also be helpful to seek guidance from a teacher or mentor who is knowledgeable in the subject. Additionally, familiarizing oneself with the common mistakes and misconceptions related to derivation rules can aid in better comprehension and application.