1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivation Rules Problem

1. Sep 13, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am supposed to find the first and second order derivative of
    [tex]p=\left(\frac{q^{2}+3}{12q}\right)\left(\frac{q^{4}-1}{q^{3}}\right)[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    Derivation Sum and Difference as well as Product and Quotient Rules

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to cross multiply and use the product rule on the resulting equation but its wrong.
    I am not sure what to do.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2009 #2

jgens

Gold Member

Show us what you've tried so far and then we can help you out.

4. Sep 13, 2009 #3
    Cross multiplication is for when a Fraction = a Fraction. When you multiplied them did you get... (x^2+3)(x^4-1) / 12x^2. Then take the quotient rule of the entire function and don't forget to use the product rule where necessary for the numerator. It'll start to look ugly, but such is calculus sometimes.

I am only a member and I just joined today, but I hope this helps a bit. :|

5. Sep 13, 2009 #4
    Ugh. First thing is it's called "differentiation" the process of obtaining the derivative. Derivations are from solving proofs.

6. Sep 13, 2009 #5

lurflurf

Homework Helper

Differentiation and derivation can both be used. Take for example a derivation algebra. Proofs are not solved they may be found, constructed, studied, verified, or repaired, but not solved.

7. Sep 13, 2009 #6

lurflurf

Homework Helper

One could see this by use of Derivation Sum and Difference as well as Product and Quotient Rules, but expanding the function may be prefered.
    [(q^2+3)/(12q)][(q^4-1)/(q^3)]=(q^2+3-q^-2-3q^-4)/12

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook