How to Compute the Anti-Derivative of 1/x^3: Explained

• Thread starter discy
  • Start date
In summary, to compute the antiderivative of 1/x^3, you can use the familiar formula: \int x^n\, dx = \frac{x^{n+1}}{n+1}+C, even for negative exponents. By writing 1/x^3 as xn using a negative exponent, you can get the answer -0.5 * x^-2. It is recommended to use a more complete listing of integral formulas instead of a limited formula sheet.
discy
how to compute the ANTI derivative of 1 / x^3
I think I need the formula: f(x) = 1/x^n than f'(x) = -n/x^n+1 but I'm not sure and don't know how to use it.

I know the answer is: -0.5 * x^-2 but have no idea why.

could someone explain this to me please?

Physics news on Phys.org
The familiar antiderivative formula

[tex]\int x^n\, dx = \frac{x^{n+1}}{n+1}+C[/tex]

also works for negative exponents. Write your fraction as a negative exponent.

LCKurtz said:
The familiar antiderivative formula

[tex]\int x^n\, dx = \frac{x^{n+1}}{n+1}+C[/tex]

also works for negative exponents. Write your fraction as a negative exponent.

thanks for your answer.

now how would I put 1/x³ into that formula to get -0.5 * x^-2 ?

discy said:
thanks for your answer.

now how would I put 1/x³ into that formula to get -0.5 * x^-2 ?

Write 1/x³ as xn using a negative exponent and use the formua.

hm okay. like x^-3. got it.

I guess I should learn this formula, not only because it's a "familiar" one for you guys. But also because for some reason it's not on my formula sheet.

:) tnx for your help.

1. What is an anti-derivative?

An anti-derivative is the inverse operation of a derivative. It is a mathematical function that, when differentiated, gives the original function.

2. Why is it important to compute the anti-derivative of 1/x^3?

Computing the anti-derivative of a function allows us to find the original function from its derivative. In this case, 1/x^3 is a commonly used function in physics and engineering, so knowing its anti-derivative can help solve many problems.

3. What is the general method for computing the anti-derivative of 1/x^3?

The general method for computing the anti-derivative of 1/x^3 is using the power rule for integration, which states that the anti-derivative of x^n is (x^(n+1))/(n+1). In this case, we would use this rule with n=-3, giving us the anti-derivative of 1/x^3 as -1/(2x^2).

4. Are there any special cases when computing the anti-derivative of 1/x^3?

Yes, there are some special cases when computing the anti-derivative of 1/x^3. For example, if the function also has a constant added to it, we would need to use the power rule along with the constant rule for integration. Additionally, if the function is in a different form, such as (ax+b)^n, we would need to use the substitution method to find the anti-derivative.

5. How can I check if my computed anti-derivative is correct?

One way to check if your computed anti-derivative is correct is by taking the derivative of the anti-derivative and seeing if it gives you the original function. In the case of 1/x^3, taking the derivative of -1/(2x^2) would give you 1/x^3, confirming that your computed anti-derivative is correct.