Derivative and Jacobian of a transformation

In summary, the conversation is about how to calculate the Jacobian for a transformation. The steps involved include drawing the lattice lines, calculating the derivative, and using the Jacobian matrix. The Jacobian determinant is the determinant of the Jacobian matrix and is used to calculate the transformation. The Jacobian matrix is a matrix of partial derivatives. The shorthand term "Jacobian" refers to the Jacobian determinant. It is important to note that the Jacobian matrix is used in a similar way as the chain rule.
ElijahRockers
Gold Member

Homework Statement

For the transformation, draw the lattice lines, calculate the derivative, and calculate the Jacobian.

[itex]x=rcos\theta[/itex]
[itex]y=rsin\theta[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew the lattice lines correctly. What I am confused about is the derivative. Since x and y are both functions of r and theta, what derivative are they talking about? Wouldn't I have to take the partial with respect to R or theta? This section is supposed to be on calculating determinants.

I understand that the Jacobian is the determinant of a particular matrix, but where does this matrix come from?

Physics news on Phys.org
the Jacobian matrix is the matrix of partial derivatives
[tex]
\begin{pmatrix}
\frac{\partial x}{\partial r} & \frac{\partial x}{\partial \theta} \\
\frac{\partial y}{\partial r} & \frac{\partial y}{\partial \theta} \\
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

the Jacobian determinant is the determinant of that matrix and is probably what you're referring to with the shorthand "Jacobian"

Alright thanks. Yea I looked at the Jacobian wikipedia earlier, before I posted this, but it all just seemed greek to me. I am about to try to finish the assignment.

Thanks again, I'll let you know how it goes.

Last edited:
note if you had a small displacement (dr,dtheta)^T, multiplying this by the jacobian would give you the corresponding (dx,dy), similar to the chain rule

What is a derivative of a transformation?

A derivative of a transformation is a mathematical tool used to measure the rate of change of a function as its input changes. It is also known as the slope or gradient of the function at a specific point.

How is the derivative of a transformation calculated?

The derivative of a transformation is calculated by taking the limit of the ratio of the change in the output of the function to the change in the input, as the change in input approaches zero. This is known as the derivative formula.

What is the Jacobian of a transformation?

The Jacobian of a transformation is a matrix of partial derivatives that describes the rate of change of each output variable with respect to each input variable. It is used to generalize the derivative of a transformation to multivariable functions.

What is the role of the Jacobian in transformations?

The Jacobian is crucial in transformations as it helps to determine the orientation, shape, and size of the transformed space. It is used in many fields of mathematics and science, such as in optimization, differential equations, and computer graphics.

How is the Jacobian of a transformation calculated?

The Jacobian of a transformation is calculated by taking the determinant of the matrix of partial derivatives of the transformation function. Each entry in the matrix is calculated by taking the partial derivative of the output variable with respect to the corresponding input variable.