1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Derivative Applications

1. Jan 14, 2007 #1
    I am stuck on the following questions lately. I hope someone can explain/help me out, any little help is greatly appreciated! :smile:

1) Let f(x) = x^3 - 3x + b.
    1a) Show that f(x)=0 for at most one number x in [-1,1].
    1b) Determine the values of b such that f(x)=0 for some x in [-1,1].

This is an example in my textbook,
    For part a, they showed f'(x)=0 at x=+/-1, so f'(x) not=0 on (-1,1), so f(x) = 0 has at most one root (otherwise, by rolle's theorem,....)
    For part b: they said that when f(x)=0, b = 3x - x^3 = x (3 - x^2). When x E [-1,1], |x (3-x^2)|<=2. Thus |b|<=2
    "When x E [-1,1], |x (3-x^2)|<=2" <------This is where I can't follow this logic, can someone please explain this?

2) Let f and g be differentiable functions on the interval (0,c) such that f(0)=g(0). Prove that if f'(x)>g'(x) for all x E (0,c), then f(x)>g(x) for all x E (0,c).

My attempt:
    Let F(x)=f(x)-g(x), I need to prove that F(x)>0
    F'(x) = f'(x)-g'(x) > 0 on x E (0,c) since f'(x)>g'(x)
    So F increases on (0,c)
    This is not what I want...how can I actually prove that F(x)>0?

3) Determine A and B so that the graph of f(x) = Acos(2x) + Bsin(3x) will have a point of inflection at (pi/6,5).

My solution: (incompleted)
    (pi/6,5) must lie on the curve, so I sub. (pi/6,5) into f(x), getting A+2B=10 ...........(1)

f''(x) exists for all x E R, if there is a point of inflection at x=pi/6, then it must be true that f''(pi/6)=0, so I set f''(pi/6)=0, obtaining -2A-9B=0 .........(2)

Solve (1) and (2), I get A=18,B=-4

BUT the most important thing about point of inflection is that f''(x) MUST change sign (change concavity),f''(x)=0 does not mean that a certain point is a point of inflection for sure, so now I must show that in a small neighbourhood around x=pi/6, f'' has opposite sign, sub. A=18,B=-4 into f''(x), I get f''(x)=-36[2cos(2x)-sin(3x)], but now how can I prove that the 2nd derivative will change sign at x=pi/6? The trouble is that I don't know the location of the other inflection points, so I can't really use the "test sign" method (because I don't know in what interval will the sign of f'' keep constant), say if I evalutate f''(0) to test sign, the trouble is that between 0 and pi/6, f'' may not be keeping a constant sign.......how can I take care of this mess?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2007 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'll have a go at 1:

If you look at x(3-x2), considering we are in the range [-1,1], what are the maximum and minimum values of this expression?

4. Jan 14, 2007 #3

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

To show if a critical point is a point of inflection, look at the values of f'(x) either side of the critical point. If the are opposite in sign, then you have a point of inflection.

5. Jan 14, 2007 #4

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

2) You also know the value of F(0).

6. Jan 14, 2007 #5
    How can I calculate this? The maximum and minimum may not occur at the endpoints......

7. Jan 14, 2007 #6
    Yes, I know this fact perfectly, but my problem with question 2 I don't think it's possible to do so without knowing ALL the points where the 2nd derivative may possibly change sign...

Last edited: Jan 14, 2007
  8. Jan 14, 2007 #7
    (i) F'(x) = f'(x)-g'(x) > 0 on x E (0,c)
    (ii) F increases on the OPEN interval (0,c)
    (iii) F(0)=f(0)-g(0)=0

Do the 3 conditions above guarantee that F(x)>0 for all x E (0,c)? What if F is discontinuous at 0? (such as jump discontinuity), my thought is that this won't mean that F(x)>0 for all x E (0,c), is there any missing information in the actual question itself?

9. Jan 17, 2007 #8
    Can anyone explain a little bit further? Any help is appreciated!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?